• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kangen water

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I started digging into this as I hadn't heard of it before. It is a ploy to get people to buy a water ionizer (Kangen being a brand name). There is no scientific evidence that states it helps in anyway.

If you ionized water on Google, almost the entire first page is just links for articles that state it is a scam.

This water is supported by one of the leading well-known gastros in the country, Dr. Hiromi Shinya. See his video on youtube if you'd like to search for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
He is employed by Kangen, and he is renowned for developments in colonoscopic surgery. But he is a surgeon, not a GI.

Yes, Kangen water helps my Crohn's. No it's not a scam. It's widely used in Japanese hospitals. I have a background in medical research. My college pre-medical studies began at 16. There wasn't as much information outside of Japanese on these devices in 2014. (I speak a little Japanese, though I cannot read it.)

It's ionized, negatively charged I believe, highly alkaline, water that microclusters H2O molecules and supposedly absorbs through the GI barrier better. Yes it facilitates a healthier GI tract, however if you have severe scarring, it will make you bloat a little and increase your bowel motility a bit (this affect goes down over time) so you need to have this under control before drinking it and taper up. This is widely used in Japanese hospitals and accepted as effective by Japanese physicians, however it doesn't have massive studies to prove it's efficacy because there is no money in doing those human studies and it very expensive to perform large-scale human studies on anything. There will never be large studies. That said, Japanese physicians are far superior to a lot of Western docs and don't usually prescribe to bad medicine. Even Japanese medical research eclipses a lot of Western countries.

The water will have the same benefit of a healthy diet naturally making your body more alkaline, it just has a shorter shelf-life of a healthy diet. Ideally it should be used with a diet that removes all sugars that doesn't come from fruit and honey or foods that break down into sugar in the body (ALL carbs) to maximize healing. You are not supposed to eat or take medication 30-60 minutes before or after drinking the water (though I've noticed no side-effects doing this) because it affects your digestion a bit and theoretically could speed your medication absorption. There are no studies to support this and it's erring on the side of caution by physicians dealing with sick patients. Many diseases like arthritis and some forms of autism have digestive roots that also greatly benefit from Kangen water, but the water is particularly effective in helping GI disease sufferers heal themselves.