• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kaydens korner

Hello,
This is for my six year old little whom just had his 35 surgery. This time he had a reversed illostomy, a lot of stapling of boggy bowel,as well as a line removal and a colostomy placement. for more information on his story please look up Kaydens Korner on facebook. my question is he had surgery 2 weeks and 1 day ago all of his intestines have woken up but he has not had is colon working yet, he is still on morphine as well is walking and drinking water. he has a lot of gas but there is no escape route. how long will this take?

Hi. You should check out the section in here called Parents of Kids with IBD. I am also going to tag Maya 142 my little penguin Clash

Maya142

Staff member
Hi and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear your kiddo just had surgery. I think if you post in the Surgery subsection, you may get more answers.

You also might want to check out the Parents section - there are a lot of parents with kiddos with IBD, some of whom have kids your son's age.

My daughter had a minor abdominal surgery last October and I know for her it took about 3-4 days. I think it really depends on the situation. Part of it may be the morphine - that is known to slow the gut, but obviously if he needs it for pain relief, then there's not much you can do but wait. It's great that he is walking around - we were told that helped.

I don't have any good answers but I'll tag Clash since her son had surgery a while ago.

My son had an ileocecectomy. His bowels woke up fairly quickly though the anesthesia and pain meds slowed to stopped his bladder. Both bms and urination was greatly improved after he came off the pain pump and switched to tylenol.