• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kefir

Anyone else drink the Lifeway or other brand Kefir? Anyone make their own.

I love food and cooking but suck at making up baking recipes and fermenting.

My wife has gotten me these drinks. It's only been a few weeks. I don't think I've taken enough to form an opinon on it yet. But since I've started drinking this I haven't had any issues so far.

Cool. I have a cup in the morning And before bed. I feel like it really sets me off right for the day, and helps a ton with digestion. The pommegranete flavor is the best at 99% lactose free.

I've just drank a glass of it in the morning. I'll start tonight with a glass before bed as well and see if I notice a difference. Thanks.
I haven't tried pomegranate yet. I've only had the strawberry and vanilla. I like the strawberry.. I'm not a fan of the vanilla. Next trip to the store I will have to get the pomegranate flavor and give it a try!

Well I had a glass last night and one this moring. It's about 3pm now and I do feel I have a bit more energy today.

Store bought kefir is somewhat bogus. I'm not nay-saying kefir. Really though it's pasteurized and most bacterial benefit is gone. Homemade kefir from RAW milk is extremely healing and good for the GI. I was told to STOP the kefir by my integrative/holistic MD a couple months ago. She put me on a specific diet according to results from my Igg blood tests. Honestly I've not gotten much if any better on the diet. I recently have felt for the last 4 days that I may be going back to the ER as I've been having a flare-up. 2 days ago I started Colostrum ( read an article online about it) and have started drinking kefir from RAW cow's milk again... against my MD's advice. I have been getting better and today I feel the best as of yet. I'm thinking that kefir is highly underrated and not totally understood by science and MDs. Yes it's from cow's milk, but I really don't think it affects your body in the way that pasteurized and homogenized milk does. I just had to chime in on this thread. HOMEMADE kefir from RAW cow's milk is the real deal. Don't waste your time and/or money on the store bought stuff, however it does taste good.

I've been making my own Kefir for three years. It isn't a real high maintenance process. I do use pasturized milk however --difficult to find raw milk. I use a high quality organic 2%milk and use grains that were given to me three years ago (because they multiply, I've shared my grains with friends many times). I harvest my kefir about once a week but if I don't get to it, no problem --it just gets a bit tarter. I put it in sugar free applesauce and smoothies. There are multiple good gut bacteria in Kefir. I think what I notice the most from eating Kefir is a reduction of gas formed in my gut as my food is digested. Since it is fermented, it doesn't bother those who are lactose intolerant --at least it hasn't bothered me. If you don't know what kefir is, use your internet search engine --there are several sites out there that are quite detailed in their information about kefir. And......Llowell, I agree with many of your conclusions above. I'm not sure why your doc would ban kefir??? From the sounds of it, maybe that wasn't a good idea. Glad you are back to doing what works for you! PC

I've been drinking kefir for over 20 years and drink a cup every morning. I don't have any gastro-intestinal issues, but then again, I was raised on the stuff. I also follow my daily kefir consumption with a good 10 cups of coffee and at least half dozen diet sodas, and nope, no problems.

Kefir grains double in size every 20 days or so, and many people either sell or give away their excess on Craigslist.

My husband resisted my suggestions to drink kefir for his chronic colitis for years, but finally gave in during an especially bad attack. His colitis was gone very next day, and he's been drinking it too ever since. He hasn't had an attack now in over 10 years.

I don't believe it's a magic "cure-all though" and what works for some, doesn't necessarily work for all. I feel it's worth a shot though.