• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kidney Stones and Crohn's

Two weeks ago I was admitted to the hospital, where I stayed for 4 days for having multiple kidney stones in my kidneys! Very painful!! Over the past several years I've struggled with kidney stones and am told by my doctors that it's very common with Crohn's patients. With that being said, is there any way at all (besides drinking tons of water) to lesson the possibility of another attack?

I'm told it's just something you have to live with and there's not much you can do about it. I just thought I'd reach out and see if any of you have shared this experience and maybe found some ways to do something about it? thanks,
Jim

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Jim,

Yes, unfortunately it isn’t uncommon for those with Crohn’s to suffer with kidney stones and I notice you have had also had a resection which increases the chances even more. :(
You will find you have the compounding effects of malabsorption, diarrhoea and increased uptake of oxalate coupled with an interference of excreting uric acid through the bowel.

With that in mind you may have mixed calcium/uric acid stones.

Theses are general guidelines as what to follow dietary wise to try and lessen the chances of developing the stones:

Calcium Oxalate stones:
Oxalate is naturally found in many foods, including fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, grains, legumes, and even chocolate and tea. Some examples of foods that contain high levels of oxalate include: peanuts, rhubarb, spinach, beets, chocolate and sweet potatoes. Moderating intake of these foods may be beneficial for people who form calcium oxalate stones, the leading type of kidney stones. A common misconception is that cutting the oxalate-rich foods in your diet alone will reduce the likelihood of forming calcium oxalate kidney stones. While in theory this might be true, this approach isn't smart from an overall health perspective. Most kidney stones are formed when oxalate binds to calcium while urine is produced by the kidneys.
Instead: Eat and drink calcium and oxalate-rich foods together during a meal. In doing so, oxalate and calcium are more likely to bind to one another in the stomach and intestines before the kidneys begin processing, making it less likely that kidney stones will form.

Uric Acid stones:
In addition to calcium oxalate stones, another common type of kidney stones is uric acid stones. Red meat, organ meats, and shellfish have high concentrations of a natural chemical compound known as purines. "High purine intake leads to a higher production of uric acid and produces a larger acid load for the kidneys to excrete," said Dr. Jhagroo. Higher uric acid excretion leads to lower overall urine pH, which means the urine is more acidic. The high acid concentration of the urine makes it easier for uric acid stones to form.
Instead: To prevent uric acid stones, cut down on high-purine foods such as red meat, organ meats, and shellfish, and follow a healthy diet that contains mostly vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and low fat dairy products. Limit sugar-sweetened foods and drinks, especially those that contain high fructose corn syrup. Limit alcohol because it can increase uric acid levels in the blood and avoid crash diets for the same reason..Eating less animal-based protein and eating more fruits and vegetables will help decrease urine acidity and this will help reduce the chance for stone formation.

Source:
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneystones_prevent

Hopefully someone will be along that has actual experience with stones. Good luck Jim!

Dusty. xxx

I also read lemon juice (i prefer fresh/organic) however had to watch out for dehydration since lemon juice can possibly have a diuretic effect on some.

Also if resection/s have been performed ~ a possible higher risk for stones/ gallstones too.

do a search of foods that can contribute to stone formation ~

So sorry for your pain. Hope you feel better, gentle hugs to you.

Well, I just got back home today after getting a stone busted up. I will be having a follow up with my urologist soon to check into some of the dietary issues because my water intake is quite reasonable. I have seen it posted somewhere that our magnesium absorption issues are one of the key reasons why stones form and that supplementing can help reduce the chances. Something I will be checking out...

No sodas
Take An herb called Chanca piedra literally stone breaker.
I had my first and only a little over a year ago
Horrific pain
Good luck