• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kombucha

In the interest of introducing some friendly bacteria, I was thinking of trying to make kombucha.
Anyone make it regularly?
The site I bought it from said that anyone on medication should ask their doctor about whether its safe for them or not...
I can't imagine my doctor even knowing what it is, so I don't think there is any point in asking, but I also don't want to do something potentially dangerous...
Any suggestions?

I don't make my own kombucha but from time to time will buy a bottle at the store made by a company called GT'S.

I was curious myself with your mention about home brew kombucha being a possible health issue. For her birthday earlier this month I bought my sister a home brew Kombucha kit. She feeds her boys probiotic rich foods to help with gut health and prevent flu bugs, and I thought this would make for a nice gift.

Looking on the net this afternoon though I did see some concerns over home brewed kombucha as sometimes the brews can become contaminated with dangerous bacteria, leading to GI and other health issues! Hmm... my sister might begin to suspect me when it comes to family inheritance.

I haven't heard if my sister has used the kit or not since we last talked. I'll have to bring it up next time we communicate. I've seen form member Ya noy mention that she regularly makes kombucha for her and her husband.

Thanks Beach! I think I heard Hugh mention it also somewhere??? I'm beginning to regret placing the order, I think I may end up not using it...

what a load of sh!%
http://www.livestrong.com/article/315709-risks-of-kombucha-tea/

go to a few sites and read them, i'm not saying drink it/don't drink it

4 points, 2 just pathetic
-ineffective, ohh dear, i'm gonna die,
-lead poisoning, Glass jar, ok? sorted

the other two
-Allergic Reactions - Start slow, a teaspoon, then two, and work up
-Contamination - Of fifty or more batches i have tipped three out because they didn't taste right (unpleasant taste)

Remember, they want to to be frightened, you do what you're told and spend more money that way:cheerleader::hallo3::cheerleader::hallo3: :cheerleader:

also try water kefir. great for summer, better than sodapop

Thank you NGNG! I live in Greece though, where no one has even heard of kombucha, so I can't buy it in a store.
I wonder why homemade kombucha specifically is so dangerous, and not homemade kefir for example.
Thanks for the info.

Thanks Hugh,
I was hoping you would chime in.
The company I bought the kombucha from also sells a "continuous brewing kit" so that you don't have to keep taking the "scoby" out, handling it and exposing it to whatever other bacteria happen to be in your kitchen, but it just keeps fermenting and you keep topping up with more sugary tea as you drink it.
I have also ordered the water kefir grains from the same place, and was planning to start with that first this summer.
I'm just worried since I have never tasted either I won't know when it tastes wrong..

helena101,
with everything there is some risk,
there are bacteria and fungus in kombucha,
it is hospitable to a wider range of fungus and bacteria than most fermented food so there is ta larger possibility of contamination (than other fermented foods).

There is also the possibility that a spinach from the supermarket will kill you with e.coli or that you will be run over by a bus.

Maybe drink the commercial one so you know the taste?
I make mine with a green tea rather than black so it tastes different again.

Cautions & Concerns. Smart Brewing Tips
http://www.happyherbalist.com/cautions.htm

Your body, your risk, your responsibility....

Single death linked to kombucha actually caused by underlying health conditions, pharmaceuticals
"One myth you may have heard about kombucha tea is that it can kill you, a claim made by the FDA, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and others based on a single incident back in 1995 where a woman was admitted to the hospital with severe acidosis and elevated levels of lactic acid in her body, and later died. According to reports, she had been consuming kombucha every day for two months prior to her death.

But if you read the report in closer detail, it clearly states that no direct link was confirmed between kombucha tea and the woman's death. In fact, the report states that she had already been suffering from other underlying health conditions, and that she "took medications for hypertension, anemia, and mild renal insufficiency." An autopsy later showed that her actual cause of death appeared to be "peritonitis with fecal contamination of the peritoneal cavity"

http://www.naturalnews.com/035316_Kombucha_tea_dangerous_health.html

nogutsnoglory

Hugh you can refute points but why must you always do so with a nasty attitude? This is a forum to support and help one another out.

Helena I'm sure there must be somewhere in Greece that sells it, are you far from an urban center with health food stores? Maybe you can order it online.

As for why Kefir is ok, I think the bacteria in Kefir is healthy bacteria whereas Kombucha can develop a dangerous film if not done properly.

Thanks NGNG!
I live in athens but I really doubt I can find it here. The most exotic thing health food stores stock here is maple syrup! Even something as basic as almond flour is impossible to find unless you make your own... But I could try ordering it online, that's a good idea.

We make kombucha. It grows even faster than kefir. New SCOBY every batch.

I worry more about possible contaminants in kombucha because of the length of brewing time. Kefir only ferments for about a day and a half, while kombucha brews for up to a week. We watch it closely.

We have a 2 gallon jar with a spigot in the bottom that we use to brew and pour. The s Obie's grow so fast, we have to remove and dispose of the excess.

I personally feel we receive more probiotic benefit from kefir. Kombucha is a nice addition to our other fermented foods we make, including sourdough, Kim chi, pickles, etc.

I believe the greatest potential danger is from mold, which can happen if your SCOBY is not properly submerged in the liquid. Use a glass jar, never plastic, keep it covered, with your SCOBY submerged (poke it down, under the water and keep a close eye on it.).