• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kudos to my husband!

Last night we had guests for dinner, and one of them (also with Crohn's) asked how I've been. I said "I've been better" although I really haven't been good at all, but have a hard time speaking up about my illness. My husband quietly told him that I have actually been having a hard time.

I was really grateful at that moment to have someone speak up for me. Someone who didn't minimize my symptoms and recognized how tough this thing can be. I try so hard to be normal but I'm trying to be more open about the reality of my life. Thought it was a good reminder that being honest about this thing can be liberating, even if we can't do it for ourselves sometimes.

nogutsnoglory

I can relate to that, I always try to downplay the severity buy my family jumps in shaking their head saying how bad things have been. It's good to get validation since out pain is not visible and so much of our struggle is behind a closed bathroom door.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm glad to hear that you have a husband that loves you as much as he does! I know the want to be the same as everyone else and not show that you're sick or be treated specially because of what you have. I've done enough of that where I work. It is nice though if you can have someone to talk to who knows what you're going through...

It is great when you have a partner that supports you and I really hope that my hubby knows how much I appreciate him. He really picked up so much slack prior to my diagnosis (I'm doing pretty well right now), but has been letting people know just what a rough time it was for me.

Yay for your husband and all the other supportive partners of us Crohnies!