• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kydney stones and crohns

kydney stones and crohns

Just got back from a 4 day stay at the hospital. I was having some crohn's flare up and was just taking it easy then later that night i had a massive pain on the opposite side of my stomach. Tried to tough it out but ended up going to the ER. Found out I had and was passing kidney stones, i was in the hospital for 3 days with passing those and trying to control the pain. Then just as i was about to leave the crohns decided to attack in about a 8-9 out 10 pain so they had me stay for observation while giving me some more pain medicine to try and relieve the inflammation. Luckily it went away...
but now my problem is i get home and the right testicle is now swollen to about 3 times the normal side and is pretty sore. The kydney stones was on the left side. Seeing if anyone may have or had something similar. I was going to wait and see if the swelling goes down before i call the doc again.

Also just wanted to say that i have recently been diagnosed and have only been on prednisone and pentassa for about 10 days and no relief.

Thanks in advance

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I had kidney stones too and omg, pain, I had 4 stones, 2 in each kidney, too big to pass, and had Lithotripsy blasting. Never again, that was painful. Kidney stones are very much a Crohn's related issue and worse if you have a resection. As far as Prednisone, how much are you taking, because Pred usually works for most Crohnies. Pentasa is a mild to moderate inflammation reducer but Prednisone usually works at 40mg to start. Kidney stones can cause other areas to become swollen, like a chain reaction. Keep drinking water, the pain will go away if you do. I found it did.

Keep us updated, lots of people here to give you their experiences. Hang in there.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hi Lt Huff,
Welcome! I've had stones 3 times - seems to be a 5 yr recurring problem for me. When they pass, try to catch them through a strainer and get them analyzed to find out what kind of stones you have.

For now, drink lots of water! They are painful. I feel for ya. And, yes, they can be an unfortunate side effect of CD.

I had a kidney stone about 10 years ago. Mine had to be blasted though, was to big to pass. I have a family history of them also, so not sure if it could be chocked up to Crohn or family.

Mu current doctor has been giving me colonoscopies every six months, but I have been a mess the past year. Before that it was once a year-1.5 years

I've heard that kidney stones can be caused by Crohn's. I had kidney stones when I was 2 and luckily I don't remember.
My last ct scan showed that my kidney was dialated which is normally caused by stones but they didn't see any.
Kidney pain hurts! Sorry you had to go through that and crohn's issues on top of that. :(