• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

L-Glutamine for Lymphocytic Colitis

David

Co-Founder
A few people have mentioned that l-glutamine may help with leaky gut. As such, it is my newest experiment :) I am now taking it once a day and will continue to do so for a week. Thereafter I'll take it twice a day. I'll report back on occasion with updates.

Current symptoms:

Costochondritis - 4/10
LRQ pain - 3/10
Eye inflammation 3/10

Hey David,

How much are you taking per day? My naturopath put me on 15g/day (3 scoops) for my leaky gut. In the last month I haven't taken it at all (due to the surgery), but I was on it for a month straight prior to surgery and again for the last 3 days.

I haven't noticed any significant difference, but I've heard from quite a few different sources about the benefits of L-glut for a leaky gut, so I'm going to keep at it. Keep us posted!

-Adam

kiny

Yup, some tests in humans http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22038507.

Now, as I'm so MAP focused, I was worried about the whey, but the process whey goes through is pretty rigorous, it's also exposed to pretty high temperatures, so after talking to some biologists they said the exposure to whey would be extremely small. I'm not sure it even matters if it was whey or regular protein in that study, I think the point was more that whey and glutamine are primary building blocks of tissue, and having enough of them is important to reduce permeability would be my guess.