• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

L update and worries about son

Hi, all.

L is still doing well. Her liver labs are still good and her IBD is staying quiet. She's had good liver numbers for 18 months now. Her doc originally mentioned trying to come off the aza after two years of normal liver labs, so I'll be asking if that is still expected when we have her next appointment, and if it is, how we are going to treat the IBD.

You may remember that about a year ago I had some worried about my youngest son, now two. He has had very slow growth and weight gain. Our pediatrician referred him to someone at children's Colorado and I never wrote about it here afterwards because I was so angry and embarrassed. The doc we saw told me I was a coddling mother. She said that because I have four kids there must be food always available and I was just letting S graze and keeping him from getting hungry. She also told me I had to stop nursing him and put him on a strict schedule. If I did these things, he would gain weight. She promised to do bloodwork, but she only ran a CBC.

Anyway, I was stunned. I'm not a rigid scheduler, so I was afraid maybe she was right and I just wasn't feeding him correctly. But I felt really let down. When I talked with our pediatric at home we agreed to monitor his weight here. I made a big effort to give him more structured feedings and he did gain a little more weight. (I didn't stop nursing, though, and still nurse him down for naps and bed). However, his weight has never really jumped up and every time he gets sick he loses a few ounces. Now we've had a run of colds and stomach viruses since Thanksgiving, and S has lost half a pound in the last month. To give this perspective, he was still far below the 3% weight line in mid December at 19# 12oz, and now weighs 19#3. The pediatrician did bloodwork that has all been normal but we haven't gotten thyroid or celiac results yet. S had an abdominal x-ray because of his chronic and increasingly bad constipation but it showed normal amounts of stool in his colon (but lots of gas in the small intestine--doc mentioned it but didn't think it meant anything, and I don't know if it has any significance). But we had just done five days of glycerin laxative suppositories (so miserable--very hard stool, painful movements) on docs advice, so I'm not sure if the x-ray represents what his insides usually are like. And he hasn't had a bowel movement since the last suppository on Monday. So now doc is sending us back to Denver at a different clinic, this time the oral feeding clinic. But I'm just dreading it. I don't want to hear again that this is all my fault. If I get another list of foods and amounts I'm going to cry, because no matter how much I offer *I can't make him eat.* He is not grazing and not being coddled. He just doesn't eat. But I don't think the docs believe he might be sick because despite his weight he is happy, developmentally appropriate (advanced,even) and just... Looks sparkly. My well meaning friends all say,"maybe he's just small." But can 19 pounds at two be "just small?"

I think most awful is the underlying feeling that, even though I've done a food log and tried to be more scheduled and as far as I can tell it's not an unstructured environment causing this, that this is really all my fault somehow.

I'm sorry for leaving this here when the isn't any evidence this is IBD, but I would really appreciate this from people who won't necessarily say that maybe he's just small. Unless maybe he *is* just small, but I'd rather hear it from someone who knows of other possibilities.

Maya142

Staff member
First off, do not beat yourself up. You're a great mom and it's clear you care about your kiddo a lot.

I am wondering if he has ever seen your older daughter's GI? Since there is a history of IBD in the family, that would be my first step. It may seem like a lot but he has chronic constipation (which a GI can help with) and he's not gaining weight. Those are two possible symptoms of IBD, so I'd start there.

As you know, blood work can be perfectly normal in kids with IBD.

The feeding clinic can only help you with eating. Is he a picky eater? Does he refuse a lot of foods? They can help with that but if his lack of weight gain is caused by something like IBD, then feeding therapy will not help.

I'm going to tag other parents, some who have younger children - hopefully they will have ideas:
my little penguin, Pilgrim, Farmwife, pdx, Jmrogers4, Kimmidwife, Mehita

Thanks. If I recall, the feeding clinic can somehow view the upper esophagus, but I don't know what else they will do.

S is not terribly picky. He eats only a small amount of whatever is offered and then refuses to eat more. This is even true with ice cream and desserts.

Maya142

Staff member
Delayed gastric emptying or gastroparesis might be something else to consider. Kids with gastroparesis tend to get full very quickly - sometimes after eating just a few bites. Nausea is common and so is weight loss. Some kids also have abdominal pain and constipation can also be a symptom.

I think there are probably many conditions that could explain his issues, and it's probably best to get him checked out.

I'm not sure what the esophagus test is - perhaps a swallow study to make sure he can swallow properly and eat safely.

Good luck!

my little penguin

Staff member
Typically feeding clinic just makes sure there are no swallowing issues and works on getting your child to eat more not diagnose anything

The FEES clinic is a collaborative effort between Children’s Hospital Colorado’s Pediatric Otolaryngology Department and the Swallowing Disorders Clinic. In the FEES clinic, a multidisciplinary team including otolaryngology (ENT), speech pathology, occupational therapy and nursing personnel evaluate a child’s feeding and swallowing skills. Children who are referred to the FEES clinic typically have a diagnosis of or suspicion for dysphagia, or difficulty swallowing. These children may have difficulties with aspiration or passing of liquid and/or food into the lungs.

The purpose of the FEES clinic visit is to evaluate the child’s feeding and swallowing function. This is accomplished through caregiver interviews, observation of the child while eating and direct visualization of the swallowing structures using a pediatric endoscope. The endoscope is a thin, flexible tube that is attached to a bright light and a camera. The thin tube is passed through the passages in the nose, which allows the team to view the structures of the upper aerodigestive tract (inside of the nose and throat) and how they function during swallowing and at rest.

Our evaluation is intended to help identify risk factors for aspiration and adaptations (such as changing the child’s position, type of bottle or cup or consistency of food/drink) to increase the safety of drinking and eating. The goal of the evaluation is to determine the safest way for the child to take food and/or liquid in order to decrease health risks that may occur from aspiration (such as lung problems).

The FEES clinic is sometimes an alternative, and at times a complementary evaluation to more traditional methods of swallowing evaluation, such as the Upright Modified Barium Swallow. FEES does not involve radiation, can be done in any exam room in virtually any patient position and is well tolerated by the majority of patients. Children of any age may be referred to the FEES clinic. Records will be reviewed by team members to determine if this is the most appropriate evaluation for the child and the FEES clinic scheduler will assist the family in scheduling and preparing for the visit.

From
https://www.childrenscolorado.org/d...epartments/ears-nose-and-throat/clinics/fees/

Second the seeing your dd GI for your son

Ds had constipation as part of his Crohns
Which most did not see as an issue as a toddler

Ds also developed delayed gastric emptying
Ate very little and wouldn't even eat much of desserts ice cream etc...
Had the delayed gastric emptying test and got the right meds
Between formula and food he is doing much better

Will he drink pediasure?
I know for ds his liquid emptying is normal
But not his solids

Good luck at the appt

I tried pediasure six months ago and he wouldn't drink more than one swallow. But I should try again. He doesn't like chocolate milk or Carnation instant Breakfast, so I'm not too hopeful.

Oh. Also, his appointment isn't until March 9. Sigh.

I've wondered about just calling L's nurse and seeing if her doctor will just take a lpok. I'm stuck between feeling like a crazy mother and a concerned one.

my little penguin

Staff member
I can say I had Ds GI take a look
At Ds sibiling
It was the best thing ever
The GI knew us knew Ds history and quickly scoped my other child
Immediately figured out the issue wasn't ibd and simply was severe lactose intolerant

Much better than round around from doc to doc trying to explain

Maya142

Staff member
I agree - I'd definitely let L's GI know and set up an appt. for your son. I don't think it's unreasonable at all if he isn't eating or gaining weight - that is not normal.

What is your son's length? It would be useful to see his growth points on a growth chart.
Does your doctor put the growth points on a curve? Growth curves can be very informative.

He should definitely be gaining weight and growing in length at this age. Children at this age don't normally stop gaining weight at this age.

I hate when doctors blame mothers!

Wishing you and your children all the best.

Last edited:
I can only second the advice to try and get your son in to your daughter's GI. H has 6 siblings and we have taken 1 of them in to her GI. They ran all the IBD related labs and in the end she had another issue. GI told us he would not hesitate to scope if we had future issues.
I think you sound like a mother with good instincts. It must have been terribly frustrating to be dismissed as coddling. It brought out my mother bear just reading it.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Is the constipation being addressed with Miralax or other stool softeners? Maybe he doesn't want to eat because he is all backed up. My nonibd daughter has this problem and it is difficult to manage, but we found out she was allergic to corn and that has helped.

We just started Miralax, but we haven't seen results yet. I think using the suppositories got him pretty cleared out (as the x-ray suggests) so I was hoping we would already see results. But he still hasn't had a bowel movement since Monday.

Thyroid results are normal (which is what I expected, though I have a cousin with Graves disease, so I was glad to check).

Yes miralax should only be adjusted every three days as well.
Grace lived of miralax for a year or so.

I hope your child gets better soon!

We're still offering Miralax, but sometimes it's hard to get him to drink juice. Is says you can put it on any liquid. Have any of you ever mixed it in milk?

Maya142

Staff member
We do Miralax too - there were times when my daughter needed more than one capful.

We haven't mixed it with milk, but we were told any liquid was ok. We usually just did water.

I don't have any advice to add, but just wanted to send some reassurance and support your way. You don't sound like a coddling mother to me (and even if you were, that wouldn't explain all the issues that your son is having!) Urging you to stop breastfeeding also seems strange to me. It feels like this doctor let her personal opinions and preferences blind her to what was actually going on with your son, whatever than ends up being. Please don't blame yourself for what's going on, and keep fighting to get the testing needed to figure out what the real problem is.

Glad to hear that your daughter is doing well!

We're still offering Miralax, but sometimes it's hard to get him to drink juice. Is says you can put it on any liquid. Have any of you ever mixed it in milk?

:yfaint:tried it all!
Grace was up to 3 cap full.
Apple juice and thicker type juices.
The biggest help was slipping it in when she didn't know. :thumleft:

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
There are some lemonade mixes that come in packets like Crystal Light but all natural that my non IBD daughter uses to drink her Miralax. Never have any trouble. I change up the flavor every now and then.

Absolutely inappropriate for the doctor to dismiss your concerns. They are definitely valid. Keep fighting!

We use Miralax in milk (Restoralax, but I think it's the same thing). My son doesn't like juice but loves milk. I use a shaker bottle so there are no lumps. It does make the milk foamy though, so you might need to let the bubbles settle first to help prevent him getting gassy.

I don't want to hear again that this is all my fault. If I get another list of foods and amounts I'm going to cry, because no matter how much I offer *I can't make him eat.* He is not grazing and not being coddled. He just doesn't eat. But I don't think the docs believe he might be sick because despite his weight he is happy, developmentally appropriate (advanced,even) and just... Looks sparkly. My well meaning friends all say,"maybe he's just small." But can 19 pounds at two be "just small?"
While I never had the it's your fault I did have the constant he just needs to eat more, Jack was older but he was never hungry I had to remind him to eat otherwise he would not eat or maybe just a couple of bites when he did eat.
He did gain weight when we put him on supplemental EN, he was to drink 6-8 peptide and whatever else he wanted/would eat so so he was getting about 1400 or more extra calories a day. As soon as we stopped the weight dropped off because of course he still wasn't eating. He was about 1% and 12% for height a far cry from where he was before crohn's at 50% and 80% for height.
He wasn't growing and GI referred us to Endocrinologist to check for growth issues, we did all the testing and bone age was 2 years delayed. I was a bit peeved at the Endo because while he didn't come out and say maybe you were just meant to be small, he did say you would be considered tall if you were asian. Couldn't believe he said that. Not all asians are short and even if that was true he's not Asian.
GI never said it until after the fact when we got him on the right medicine and he grew 9 inches over a years time. Said that I guess I was wrong I thought maybe he was just meant to be small but clearly that is not the case. (Jack passed him in height at our last appointment). I'm glad he at least listened to me when I kept saying he should be growing and developing.
I've done the grazing all day. I've done a schedule where he was required to eat every 2 hours, none of it helped since he wasn't hungry.

Absolutely inappropriate for the doctor to dismiss your concerns. They are definitely valid. Keep fighting!

We use Miralax in milk (Restoralax, but I think it's the same thing). My son doesn't like juice but loves milk. I use a shaker bottle so there are no lumps. It does make the milk foamy though, so you might need to let the bubbles settle first to help prevent him getting gassy.
Thanks! He really prefers milk and water, so I'm going to try both.

Thank you all so much. I'm glad that I don't sound crazy. I need to call L's liver/GI nurse to check up on blood results, so I'll talk to her soon, too.

I appreciate your support. <3

Im actually appalled at how that doctor treated you, and even moreso when you have a history of IBD in the family. I agree take him to L's GI, I had to do this with my son and he ran all the bloodwork, listened to my concerns and told me if I had any more issues come back and see him and he would scope immeadiately. Also because your little man is only two they should be listening to you - you are with him all the time so you know better than anybody if there are issues. We have put movicol (I think thats what we call miralax in Europe) in milk lots of times. Im not a natural scheduler and to be told to keep a two year on a strict food schedule goes against everything I believe to be right - I think kids form their own! (well all mine have anyway). Please dont let them tell you its your fault he is underweight/small and you are not doing it right, because I think deep down as his mother (as I was with my little one when I was being told the same things), you instinctively know if there is something wrong or something that needs to be checked.

Hi! I just (finally) talked with L's liver nurse about S. L is almost due for her six-month follow-up, so they scheduled her right away (well--in a couple of weeks. That's right away for them, for something not emergent) AND S immediately following. So that's on 13th Feb. Thank goodness!