• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lactaid

So I found out I may be lactose intolerant because since last Tuesday I started drinking milk and I have had D ever since. I am getting nervous because I leave for college on Wednesday and I have to feel better by then. I feel terrible right now with my butt almost being raw right now due to going to the bathroom between three and five times a day. I mean normally I go three times a day but the D has been killing me. It's strange because although I have D I have to use a lot of pressure to pass the stool and after my D I have regular stool. My doctor told me about Lactaid but I forgot to ask him if it tastes like milk or not. So if you guys could help me out. My doctor is pretty hard to get in touch with especially on the weekends becuase he works out of the hospital on weekends.

Thanks for any help

I never really figured out if I was lactose intolerant but I cut out milk anyway just in case. Occasionally I'll have a little in my coffee or have a little ice cream now and then, but I avoid it for the most part. Cheese doesn't bother me too much as long as I don't eat a lot of it.

I never tried lactaid, but since you're starting school next week I wouldn't recommend trying anything new. I would just avoid milk altogether for awhile. It's really not too hard, except for cheese maybe. If you like cereal that will be tough at the beginning, but there will be plenty of other options at the dorm cafeteria probably.

I don't know how you handle immodium, but you might consider taking a little of it until you get settled into your new situation.

Just suggestions.

Kev

Hey jeff.. Real milk does the same to me... I just use lactose free milk whenever I can... We've got at least 3 different makers of the stufff in my neck of the woods, and I don't find it tastes any different (than real milk).. I use it in coffee, tea, even on cereal... There are also lactaid pills you can get, but you need to take them at least 1/2 hour before the real milk. Hope that helps, have a great time at university, okay

Try yoghurt instead of milk. It's naturally low in lactose, due to the good bacteria in it. Also if you can find goat's milk yoghurt, it's better than the cow's, because it's easier to digest.

I never drink milk becaus eit doesn't suit me at all.....

Yeah when I get back from college in December I will ask my parents to get me some lactaid. I will also try some yogurt.

Yesterday I spent the day taking Miralax because I realized that the D was coming from my stricture and big stool that couldn't pass would break up into small pieces. I woke up at four this morning and lets just say after Miralax treatment I feel much better. I need to start excercising again and hopefully this is just a minor set back. Thanks a lot guys.

I drink Lactaid milk... It comes in 2%, either 1 L or 2 L. (at least it does here in Canada anyways lol). To me it tastes like milk with a little sugar in it, since its sweeter than the regular stuff. From what i can remember hahah---i haven't drank normal milk in 5 years already :p

~ Lisa ~

Kev

Here on the East coast, I can get it in Skim, 1% or 2%. and there are a variety of brand names. some are better than others, but that's a personal preference. The only problem is availability. all of the large supermarkets carry it, but it's rare to find it in local convenience stores. A bit pricier than regular milk, but not too much

I know how you feel, Kev. When I'm at home, one of the 2 groceries stores in town doesnt carry a lot of it, so I seriously sometimes have to make a 1/2 hour trip just to buy milk. Its ridiculous. If Co-op sold the stuff instead of just IGA/AG/Superstore/Safeway then it would be much easier to buy when needed. But nooo.

~ Lisa ~