• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Laproscopic ileocolic resection

Hi All

In two weeks I am having laparoscopic ileocolic resection . I would like to hear from you who have had it done and what to expect and is there any thing to worry about . I was diagnose with crohn's just over a year ago so things are happening pretty fast , I would like to hear from people in diffrent countries as I live in new zealand .

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum. I had a resection last year and for me it went a lot better than expected, I found the discomfort experienced after the op was a lot more tolerable than the pain from the stricture I had - I take it this is what your op is for?

The fact that it is done via key hole makes a big a difference, I was in hospital for 4 nights and was back to work after 6 weeks with only the odd niggle. Before the op I was given some drinks to have 2 days before as these would help with energy and healing apparently. I was also given a mild laxative (milpar) after the op to help soften my stools so the join wouldn't be aggrivated.

Are you on an meds right now and if so which ones? I had stopped methotrexate 3months before the op and had been avoiding steroids and I was told that not being on meds like these would improve healing times.

Hope this helps hun.

AB
xx

Good luck I had the same surgery over 1 yr ago just after being diagnosed and have been great since. It took the 5 weeks to recover and the 1st week is the toughest but like angrybird says it wasn't as bad as I expected. I had over 1 ft removed and was in for a week as the bowels were a bit sleepy post surgery and it took 6 days and numerous laxatives to wake them up... BM returned to normal after a couple of months... I was on a low res diet for 6 weeks post surgery but was allowed to eat solids pretty much from the following day. I can now tolerate all foods except anything too spicy. keep us posted about your progress

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining :)

In addition to the accounts people share in this thread, you may want to also check out our surgery forum as well. And by all means, feel free to ask any questions you have :)

See you around!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I had a resection last year and for me it went a lot better than expected, I found the discomfort experienced after the op was a lot more tolerable than the pain from the stricture I had - I take it this is what your op is for?

The fact that it is done via key hole makes a big a difference, I was in hospital for 4 nights and was back to work after 6 weeks with only the odd niggle. Before the op I was given some drinks to have 2 days before as these would help with energy and healing apparently. I was also given a mild laxative (milpar) after the op to help soften my stools so the join wouldn't be aggrivated.

Are you on an meds right now and if so which ones? I had stopped methotrexate 3months before the op and had been avoiding steroids and I was told that not being on meds like these would improve healing times.

Hope this helps hun.

AB
xx
Thanks for your reply .I am taking azathioprine at this point . Thanks again it is good to hear from someone that has been through this and puts me a bit more at ease .

Hi Antlouis,

Just wondering how your surgery went.

I live in Auckland and am scheduled to have the same op as you next Tuesday, to remove a 15 cm stricture.

I'm getting a bit nervous about it.