• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lapsed Insurance and Need Humira

To make a long and very frustrating story short, my insurance company decided to cancel my coverage without notifying me. I recently moved and all the correspondence was sent to my old address...and the mail forward only works on first class mail which is not how the letters are sent.

They have agreed to reinstate me but I will have up to a 60 day lapse in coverage. This means paying for all my care on my own plus I am 6 months pregnant. :ybatty:

So far, the most expensive issue I am having is my weekly Humira pens. I was quoted $6700/ 4 pens. :eek2:

Does anyone know how I might be able to get them without going bankrupt? I can't afford $13,000 but I really can't afford to be without them either...I am flaring during the pregnancy even though I was in remission when I got pregnant.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how the system works where you live, but in Hawaii, if you apply for medical insurance through the state (ie: welfare) and you can get your doctor to vouch for you that you are either pregnant or have a medical condition that requires ongoing treatment, the state is REQUIRED to give you a decision within 10 days, and you will be covered retroactively, from the date of application.
Try looking into that. I'm 99% sure that they can't turn you down, especially if you're both pregnant AND currently undergoing treatment for a chronic illness.

The state insurance is what I was on and they told me that there is a 2 month wait for processing in which I will not be coveted and should use clinic doctors. My university doctors barely know how to handle my case let alone public health workers. They will not know how to handle my issues and will certainly not be providing me with Humira. So the issue remains how to feasibly obtain the medication so I can remain somewhat stable thru my coverage lapse...

my little penguin

Staff member
You can have your doc write/call that your case is an emergency - pregnancy crohns and they can get state medical assistance in a few days
Vs 2-3 months for approval
Medical assistance tends to cover humira and other drugs

It may be a long shot, but try to contact the maker of Humira they may be able to cover the cost for you. They want people to take their meds and sometimes it is in their interest to aide people in certain situations.
The other possibility is to contact someone with Crohn's Collitus Foundation, they have always helped me with issues and are also a good source of information regarding issues like yours and can help point you in the right direction.