• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Large bowel inflammation what treatment?

I've had an MRI and the doc has found no inflammation, he thinks that a small amount of inflammation is present in the large intestine, who suffers from this and what treatment are you on for it? My crp is low so maybe there isn't much active inflammation at the min so what maintenance meda are you guys on?

Hi bigtruck, all of my large intestine was inflamed and had ulcers. My meds were pred, pentasa, one infliximab I cant remember any other. I was on treatment for nearly a month and none of it was working for me. Mine was extreme it all happened so quickly I had only been having symptoms for 4 months before I done anything about it. I think the Imodium that I got from my doctor a week earlier didn't help. My stomach swelled up like I was 9 months pregnant! I had an obsruction has well as still going 20-30 times a day unbeknown to me my bowel nearly perforated and could of killed me. I had to have an emergency total colectomy with ileostomy. Sorry I know this doesn't really help you but I hope you get well soon and they sort you out. Keep me posted you are in my thoughts xx

Bigtruck,
I've been on Lialda (mesalamine) for almost two years now. Ten monthas ago, my GI added Remicade. The combo seems to be working well, although I won't know for sure until my next colonoscopy.

Depends on the location of the inflammation. If it's in the descending or sigmoid colon or the rectal vault then suppositories or enemas would be one possible treatment.

IF it's in the transverse colon or ascending colon those areas are hard to reach with enemas so it would be more likely for you to rxd a 5-ASA drug like Pentasa or Lialda that releases in the small intestines and through the colon..