• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN and azathioprine (potentially)

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
So, I'm reading a lot of conflicting things on the forum, so I figured I'd reach out to try to get an authoritative answer on the subject. Can anyone tell me if I end up taking Imuram/azathioprine that I will still be able to continue taking LDN? I'd like to, if at all possible.

It sounds like Dr. Smith and Dr. Zagon had no issues with people taking both during their LDN trials, but I'm not sure if that still stands. There seemed to be a lot of voices that were adamant that taking both would be a bad idea. I'm leaning towards the "it's OK" side of the fence, but I was wondering if someone out there could clear it up for me. I'm mostly wondering in case I need to persuade my doctor if I end up taking Imuram.

Which I guess leads me to an update... I felt pretty lousy the other day, which led to a doctor's visit, which led to blood tests. Waiting on the results for now. In addition, I'm going to be scheduled for an MRI. We want to see what we're dealing with (inflammation? scar tissue? blockage?) before deciding how to proceed, but if inflammation is the problem, it might be time to step things up a bit, medication wise. (If it's scar tissue, of course, that's a whole 'nother situation.)

Anyways, thanks to all of you in advance for your help!

Yes, Jack took both with no issues.
So long story shorter. Started flaring in August/September. September FC raised, 5 day burst of pred - still having symptoms. Commenced 8 weeks of EEN, finished in November, FC even higher then September, scheduled MRE but started Imuran again with LDN. MRE shows inflammation at TI and throughout small intestine and he has no appetite and has lost a bunch of weight and no growth since Feb. 2013 (not normal for 14 year old boy). Symptoms improve with the addition of Imuran and he is feeling good but appt with endocrinologist shows that even though one test shows he is a little low in HgH lack of growth most likely due to disease activity.
Maybe the LDN and Imuran would have been enough but we felt like we had time working against us in regards to growth/puberty issues so we started Remicade in January. He has gained 15 pounds and grown 2" since then.
So I definitely think LDN/Imuran combo can work and maybe you don't need to take Imuran long term but just long enough to let LDN get back to doing its thing.
If Jack was older we would probably have given it more time, kwim?

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Jacqui, thanks bud! Also glad to hear the (not-so) little man is doing well on the Remi and growing again.

Thanks, yeah I only have him by an inch now. He is thrilled about that! Hope you get results back quickly and get to feeling better.

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Quick update: Although I'm not 100% sure, I'm guessing azathioprine seems like a less likely thing to happen, based on my blood tests -- CRP is OK, and blood levels look good overall.

Pros: Perhaps the LDN is doing it's thing! Keeping inflammation at bay is good!
Cons: Hopefully I don't have a stricture. MRI in mid-May, will keep y'all posted.