• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN combined with specific diets?

Hi everyone,

I would just like to ask those of you who have had success with LDN if you have needed to stop eating certain foods or adopt a specific diet like SCD, Paleo, Gaps etc.

If so which particular diet was combined or food eliminated, if any, in order to enhance the effects of LDN?

Or was LDN on its own enough to achieve remission?

Also I'd like to thank Kev so much for his kind help and patience with my questions regarding LDN.

Warm regards
Michael

Kev

Michael

Glad to be of help. When I first started LDN, I was already trying to control my disease with diet. I was on a high protein, low fat, low fibre, low residue, lactose free diet. I also avoided gassy foods. And spices. It was a bland diet intended to minimize stress on my ravaged track. The 'experts' couldn't agree whether diet could control or even influence my disease... but, rather than taking one side or the other.. to me it just made sense to give my GI tract as easy a time as possible. I kept a daily intake diary to see what my trigger foods were.. if any.. and avoided them. I still think a sensible diet is a ... well, sensible idea. Now, some folks swear by the SCD.. I knew that I just didn't have the resolve to maintain it. But, if one was of a mindset that they could see sticking to a diet like it... then, I can't see any reason one couldn't combine LDN and a diet.. SCD, or what have you.. to launch a two pronged attack on your disease. Thing is, you wouldn't know for sure which was giving what benefits, but that's a small thing in the overall scheme of things. These days, I can eat pretty much whatever I want (well, OK, not since the diabetes) but that aside.. except for pain from scar tissue, my life is pretty normal. If a healthy diet is a good idea for a healthy person, well, then for someone with chronic health issues.. it is literally a no brainer. I don't know if that helps.

We tried the SCD diet and managed to follow for a month 2nd month we were about 80% SCD and then remained gluten free for 4 months then nothing. Just couldn't maintain it personally. It was hard and at this point he is doing so well he seems to be able to eat pretty much anything even those previous "trigger" foods of his although we only tried them once or twice.

Kev

Yeah, once it does its thing, and you are secure in your recovery... diet doesn't seem to play a role. However, having said that, it is wise to remember your GI tract hasn't come through un-scathed. A sane, sensible diet to minimize the wear and tear on a ravaged GI tract is probably a wise idea. LDN can do a lot... but it can't roll back the hands of time.