• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN & Swine Flu

I had some thoughts regarding this Swine Flu thing and how it could be trouble for those of us on LDN.

The deadly part of this Flu is not the virus itself but appears to be the "Cytokine Storm" that results from a strong immune system over reaction.

Since LDN boosts or at least brings your immune system to a more normal level, it may be a detriment to use LDN if you would happen to contract this Flu.

I think I mentioned here before how darn sick I was with the Flu last Summer. So sick I went to the Doctor. If you realize how reluctant I am to ever go to the Doctor, you would know how sick I really was. I thought I might have West Nile Virus or something more serious than the Flu. They never did identify the virus.
I had elevated Liver Enzymes and this is hardly a normal reaction to the Flu. I rarely even miss work because of the Flu, prior to using LDN. I was having trouble even standing with this Flu. My uncle also had this Flu, just before me, but he never got nearly as sick.

It could have happened for any number of reasons, but the immune system boosting nature of LDN is one possibility.

I have already sent an E-mail to my LDN prescribing Doctor who I trust. I would suggest anyone on LDN pose this possibility to their Doctor as well.

Dan

D Bergy said:
I had some thoughts regarding this Swine Flu thing and how it could be trouble for those of us on LDN.

The deadly part of this Flu is not the virus itself but appears to be the "Cytokine Storm" that results from a strong immune system over reaction.

Since LDN boosts or at least brings your immune system to a more normal level, it may be a detriment to use LDN if you would happen to contract this Flu.

I think I mentioned here before how darn sick I was with the Flu last Summer. So sick I went to the Doctor. If you realize how reluctant I am to ever go to the Doctor, you would know how sick I really was. I thought I might have West Nile Virus or something more serious than the Flu. They never did identify the virus.
I had elevated Liver Enzymes and this is hardly a normal reaction to the Flu. I rarely even miss work because of the Flu, prior to using LDN. I was having trouble even standing with this Flu. My uncle also had this Flu, just before me, but he never got nearly as sick.

It could have happened for any number of reasons, but the immune system boosting nature of LDN is one possibility.

I have already sent an E-mail to my LDN prescribing Doctor who I trust. I would suggest anyone on LDN pose this possibility to their Doctor as well.

Dan
This is very interesting! Please keep us updated.

Im on immunosupressants and will see my doc next will. Will ask him what risks that might be involved with beinging on immunoregulators if contracting the swineflu.

While the mortality rate probably will be very low, even for patients with a defect immune system, its still something to mind.

and remember

Obey the laws
And wear the gauze.
Protect your jaws
From septic paws.

/H

I would think an immune suppressant would help, since the older population with a somewhat weaker immune system are not the group that are having fatalities.

It is also likely a matter of degree of suppression also, so it is probably not that simple and straight forward.

I think it is a good idea to bring up the subject with your physician.

Dan

Kev

Hmmm, I had a very bad flu last year, while on LDN. Never considered for a second there could be a connection. Not saying there is/was, just food for thought. Given a choice between a compromised/suppressed immune system and a regulated immune system that corrects my condition naturally, I think I'll stick with the LDN. We have 8 reported cases here, but so far all have been mild and there have been no deaths or near deaths. I was under the general impression the fatalities in Mexico were from lack of medical attention and that the numbers were mostly made up of those whose health was already poor, etc..

The people in the cities in Mexico have very poor air quality and the general pollution is bad. The people who are dying are already in marginal health to begin with.

It appears this Flu has not had the same effect when people outside Mexico contract it. MN dept of Health is saying it is acting like a typical seasonal Flu, so far.

As a precaution, I will stop LDN if i get symptoms. I can get away without for a while, and I was really sick with the last Flu I had.

I have experimented with killing Cold and Flu viruses before , and when it is killed quickly, it is hard on the body. From this experience, I can understand why LDN would produce a similar effect.

I never heard back from the doctor, but I told him he did not have to contact me if he was OK with me stopping LDN if I get the Flu. Now I wonder if he ever got the E-mail.

The last update I have from the MN Health Dept

FOR IMMEDIATE USE May 3, 2009

John Stieger, 651-485-8265 (Sun. evening)
Doug Schultz, 612-250-2236
MDH Communications Office
;

Two of Minnesota’s probable H1N1 cases are in persons in schools that will close Monday

Further investigation by the Minnesota Department of Health has determined that two of Minnesota’s cases of probable H1N1 novel influenza virus are in persons in two schools. As a result, school officials have decided to close the schools beginning Monday as a precaution. One of the individuals is in Orono High School, which is on a campus with two elementary schools and a middle school, all of which will close Monday. The other probable case is a person at Emerson Spanish Immersion School in Minneapolis. Schools will remain closed until confirmation testing is completed or additional guidance is available, which is expected early this week.

MDH is characterizing these cases as “probable,” meaning that the MDH lab has identified the virus as type A influenza, but the strain cannot be confirmed as novel influenza using lab tests currently available to MDH. Additional testing by CDC is needed to determine if the individuals have the new strain of H1N1 influenza.

In addition, the MDH Public Health laboratory conducted further tests on the eight probable cases and found that two of them were seasonal influenza. Those two individuals were from Scott county and Polk county. The state now has one confirmed H1N1 case and 6 probable cases pending confirmation by CDC: three from Hennepin County, and one each from Isanti, Dakota, and Wright counties.

To date, the department has tested samples from 420 people, with about 20 awaiting testing, as of noon today.

None of Minnesota’s cases have required hospitalization and all are at home expecting to make a full recovery. The novel strain currently appears to be acting like seasonal influenza.

MDH officials expect to see additional cases of the virus and are reminding people that they have a role in controlling the spread of infections like influenza. Stay home if you’re sick, cover your cough, wash your hands frequently and limit your contact with people who you think might be sick. In addition, it is prudent for household members of people who have fever and respiratory symptoms to monitor their health and limit their contacts with others in the community.

For more information about novel influenza, please visit the MDH Web site at www.health.state.mn.us or contact your health care provider. Members of the public with questions can call the MDH hotline during regular business hours, at 1-800-657-3903.

It kinda bugs me that the media is all "SWINE FLU SWINE FLU!!!! WATCH OUT ITS INFECTING HUNDREDS!!! WHAT TO DO IF YOURE INFECTED!!!" Its the flu. Like a normal flu. Out of everyone in the world its killed like 20 people... most of them either below 10 years old or above 60. Normal people die from the normal flu too... its nothing new... it can be fixed with a pill. AND out of 6 BILLION people in the world, there have been only 935 confirmed cases... thats 1 out of every 6.5 million people. This means that you are ten times more likely to be struck by lightning (1 in 600,000) if the swine flu infections were random.

I told the people at our office that we are more likely to die of being crushed under a vending machine than you are of dying of this Flu. Since we have vending machines, the odds go up some. Maybe we should chain them to the wall.

It is hype at this point, but there have been some deadly Flu's in the past, but now they are finding out that the secondary infection of Strep is what likely was the infection that killed most of them.

Someday it is going to happen where we get a deadlier than normal outbreak of some disease, but it is not this one.

Dan

i know that at this stage, the actual likelihood of contracting Swine Flu is low, compared to other statistical chances of illnesses, accidents etc.. but it really brought it home to me when a letter arrived in my mail the other day telling me how to guard against it, wiping tap, door, and toilet handles with antibacterial wipes, sneezing into a tissue and throwing it away, staying indoors if we get cold/flu symptoms... when we get personal instructions like that, it does feel pretty scary...

on the LDN issue, i'm also on this, and originally thought i'd have more chance of fighting off the flu because LDN kick starts the immune system - was quite dismayed to read it could actually be a negative :(

From my understanding, someone such as myself (250 mg Immuran daily) is MORE likely to contract H1N1, but LESS likely to die from it (due to curbed immune response from suppression)....

I'm not so worried about how many people are infected now, but a little more concerned about my unique medical situation in addition to he fact this strain supposedly mutates quite rapidly, meaning it could grow stronger (if I'm understanding what I've read on it recently), and the pandemic could get larger. Also of note, when the "healthier" people die from something, it really makes you stop and think....or it makes you feel you need to redefine "healthy"....

When it comes right down to what prevents infections and many diseases, the common denominator is hygiene.

Cleanliness has likely been the single biggest factor in the reduction of the diseases of the past that caused so many deaths. Good hygiene habits are probably the single most important thing any of us can do to keep healthy.

At one time this concept was considered an alternative, or radical point of view. Even though hygiene could be demonstrated as an important infection prevention strategy, it was dismissed. This was not even 200 years ago.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blantisceptics.htm

Keep this fact in mind when you wonder why doctors are so resistant to considering anything they were not taught in medical school. The times are different, but the resistance to new ideas, have not changed much.

We still have doctors in my town that prescribe antibiotics for the Flu. Not much science involved in that decision.

Dan

D Bergy said:
We still have doctors in my town that prescribe antibiotics for the Flu. Not much science involved in that decision.
I hope, for their sake, that you are kidding.

I wish I was kidding. My father in law was prescribed antibiotics for his last bout with the Flu. That was last year.

Actually, I am going to ask my doctor why some doctors are still doing this. I am hoping it is to prevent some bacterial co-infection, but I am stretching to find some logic behind this practice.

Dan

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
im sick right now but i dont think its the flu but my school has had 2 cases so far and they still wont close it to disinfect it and its closed off because they are doing construction so you cant even open the windows anywhere. there have been a few public schools closed around my area but central refuses to close even das when its icy or there are like 3 ft of snow over night...i dont know about this school. lol

Three feet of snow!

You must be in the U.P. Eh?

Our schools rarely close for weather either. But lots of snow and cold are a feature of Northern MN.

Dan

Kev

Hmmm, I'm just getting over a very bad cold... but it lasted only a week this time.

Stayed on my LDN... so the severe flu I had last year was an exception. And tho it was quite bad and extremely long (multiple weeks) other folks I work with who had it experienced the same thing. My experience with it was no worse than any of theirs. So, at this point, I'm ruling out LDN playing any negative role in my ungodly flu of last year... So, what is the 'sensible' thing to do? Stop taking LDN at the 1st sign of a flu? Wouldn't it be too late by then?
And, what if the flu is like the bad one my cohorts and I experienced last year?
Does one stay off LDN for 4 - 5 weeks? What affect would that have on your crohns? I wish I had a better understanding of LDN and the mechanics at play in its battle with crohns. I find it hard to believe such a low dose would have a great impact on whether we have mild, serious or next to no flu like symptoms.
I mean, one small dose at bedtime. By the next morning, when we are 'out N about' coming into contact with flu germs, how much of our LDN is still in our systems? Think this is one where we have to roll the dice, live and learn, and share our flu stories with and without LDN. As for swine flu, over 4 dozen cases now reported in our area. Despite precautions, the genie is out of the bottle.

The lack of severity that this Flu is producing has me thinking it probably makes little difference whether you are on LDN or not. I guess if I get extremely sick again I will just stop taking it until I am recovered somewhat. No point in pouring gas on the fire. If it is a more typical reaction I will keep taking it.

I have other ways to kill the Flu if I treat early. This one is not nearly as serious as it first appeared in Mexico.

Dan

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
no i live in the lower western part of mi but we will get big snowstorms sometimes its horrible!! i was born in panellis florida and moved here when i was 8 i miss the heat so much im always cold you see me in my house i always have a blanket^.^ i wanna get one of thoes snuggies but my mom thinks theyre dumb:(

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
i had a heating pad but it broke:( it was a piece of crap anyway you had to hold the button down and if you rigged it with duct tape it would get like super hot like you touch it and burn yourself!!! it was evil i think :D