• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Left side or right side?

Hi everyone

When you write something like "pain in the lower right quadrant", is that your right side, or the right side when someone looks at you?

Just checking we are not taking different sides!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
^What Cross-stitch said. My right side - the side that's attached to my right arm and my right leg. But if there's any question when you're describing your pain to your doctor, you could always point to the area where your pain is, too. My LRQ pain is always in the same spot, I could draw you a map. Maybe I should just get a tattoo over where my pain spot is! "X marks the spot!" :p

The doctor identifies the pain according to where YOU feel it, so if you feel it on the right side, it is a right-sided pain.

^What Cross-stitch said. My right side - the side that's attached to my right arm and my right leg. But if there's any question when you're describing your pain to your doctor, you could always point to the area where your pain is, too. My LRQ pain is always in the same spot, I could draw you a map. Maybe I should just get a tattoo over where my pain spot is! "X marks the spot!" :p
Now I know where your LRQ pain is. But I like the idea of a tattoo just to be sure.

My right. For the first 10 years it was always lower right plane… But the past two few years it's upper right pain