• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Leg & back aches...

Good morning,
My name is Janis and I was diagnosed w/ Crohn's Sept 8, 2008 when I was 38 years old. I've been experiencing severe leg pain and lower back pain over the past 3 months. As most of you I'm sure, I have a high tolerance to pain given what I've been through so I haven't inquired w/ my doctor until now as a result but the pain is not going away and it's quite unbearable at times.
I am taking Imuran, Asacol as well as Remicade infusions every 8 weeks.
I'm reading within this blog that most of you say that this ache and pain is a side effect of Crohn's and that possibly are related to B12 or Calcium issues. Have any of you contacted or rec'd info from your doctors? I have an appointment coming up and I'm curious as to what you've been advised upon to possibly help control or eliminate the pain (if anything)

Last edited:
Hi Janis. Welcome to the forum. Tell your Dr. about your pain. It can be cause by many things, It can be your meds, or some people have joint pain when in a flare, some develop Arthritis that does not matter if on flare or not. Low Vitamin D. and so on. But you don't have to suffer no matter the reason. Good luck with your appointment.

Hi Janis,

I've had multiple joint pains for a long time now but just diagnosed with Crohns last Dec, it is thought however, that the 2 are not related, having been seen a rheumatologist. I am still being investigated as to the cause of my pains so can't offer any suggestions other than say I would definitely mention your pains at your appointment because, as said before it could be related in some way. I hope you get some answers and relief soon. Best wishes and welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone :) I too suffer from pain and aches in my back and legs, sometimes my arms too. No plan of action for it yet as I'm waiting for my bloods to come back so we can take it from there. If it gets too bad or unbearable then don't feel like you have to wait until your appointment, get in contact with them earlier.

As stated above the joint and muscle pain is mostly part of Crohns. But from my own personal strange trip with Imuran the back pain might be because your reacting to Imuran. I had severe back pain it paralyzed me and ended up in the hospital, They ran so many tests and couldnt figure it out. I blamed Imuran the reply I got was, " I never heard of that drug doing that, or I cant make sense of that."
Just letting you know that if you were to lower your dose ( I do not recommend doing that with out Doctor supervision) you'll notice the back pain go away in a few days....I bet you on that one.