• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Let's talk blood clots

Hello everyone. I just got out of the hospital after having a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism. This is the second time I had DVT/PE.

I was wondering how many other people with Crohns have had blood clotting issues. Personally, I think Crohns and the medications (Remicade) make us more susceptible to blood clotting problems but I have not been able to find any solid research on the subject.

What are your experience with blood clotting problems?

i have been on remicade for psoriasis for 2 years now and my blood work did show blood clotting so they had me on 1 baby asprin a day. But I do not have DVT or PE. I hope that helps.

Krill or Fish Oil makes the blood more slippery, and the Omega three is beneficial for anyone. They are also anti-inflammatory.

Ginger and Turmeric this the blood slightly, and reduce inflammation which can only help.

These are just a few of the non toxic ways to reduce clotting problems, and they can help in general with this disease.

Dan

It should have read:

Ginger and Turmeric "thin" the blood slightly, and reduce inflammation which can only help.

This is the only forum I know of that does not allow you to edit a post. And I make a lot of mistakes.

Dan

I'm not an expert on this but my understanding was when you have an autoimmune disease or increased inflammation, your sed rate is higher (your blood is "stickier") and this can give you an increased risk for blood clots and all that other fun stuff. Please correct me if I am misinformed.

I'm not an expert on this but my understanding was when you have an autoimmune disease or increased inflammation, your sed rate is higher (your blood is "stickier") and this can give you an increased risk for blood clots and all that other fun stuff. Please correct me if I am misinformed.
Makes sense. I guess I am going to have to "goggle" sed rates and see what I can find.