• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lets talk diet?

I have a stoma for an Ileostomy and Crohn's disease. I was just wondering what is the best diet to follow. As things like marshmallows are good for thickening stoma output, yet they're bad for CD?

What's a guy to do. Although my surgeon says he cut out all the diseased bits I feel healthy now and would like to stay feeling that way as long as possible so ostobuddies how do you find the balance?

Terriernut

Million pound question. Everyone eats differently! I avoid nuts, popcorn and difficult to digest foods. Somewhat of a low res diet.

As for thickening ileo output, you will always have a loose output. But bananas and crisps do wonders for thickening for me.

yeah I've noticed that for me too, as long as its got bits in or doesn't look like yellow water or water I'm not really concerned as long as I know I'm drinking plenty. I was more wondering about how you keep both beasts pleased.

Hi pointy ears
Yep, I am learning to steer my new Stoma- miss piggy, who is about 6 weeks old. I have found great advice here. Cheesecake, rice, pasta and jelly babies are great at thickening my output. I did get dehydrated in the early stages and my output was just like weak black tea. Well that's how the nurse described it. If mine is getting loose I have some rice or jelly babies and take a couple of Imodium. My gastro told me today to ask pharmacist for chewable Imodium as the are absorbed quicker.
I don't like bananas as they give me hives so I stick to jelly babies.
Janette

Crisps, mashed potatoes, bread, pasta and bananas work good for me to thicken the output.

As for other foods, I will eat mostly everything I like now that I don't have to worry about running to the loo after even just thinking of food. I still avoid a few things, but only because I haven't been brave enough to try them for fear of obstruction like coconut, mushrooms and prawns.

I haven't had the watery problem too much today. Just a bit in the morning. Since then it's been like tooth paste. But junior just don't want to seem t.o stop lol