• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Let's talk poop...

Okay, since we have NO modesty left from this lovely disease, I was wondering if anyone, since being on any of the immunosuppresant drugs has noticed their bowel movements are now long and narrow. Most times mine are the thickness of a straw and as long as 2 feet! Sometimes they are wider but not often - Anyone else notice this? I am not complaining as this is MUCH preferred than the constant diarrhea, just kinda schocking...

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
I've noticed mine sometimes are quite thin (though not as thin as a straw, more like the width of a ziti pasta - lol). Not sure why as I've never been told I have a stricture.

Mine get this way from time to time as well too. Someone else did mention this problem before and I believe someone who commented (yeah, I don't remember who) mentioned that it could just be thinner due to inflammation and such. I wondered a few times if it was due to a stricture or something to worry about, but then other times they are larger and normal formed ... so I doubt a stricture would go back and forth. heh No idea. But it seems to be common among us Crohnnies.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
That's probably me, Shan. At least, I'm one of t

If I don't have D, I have loooooooong, thiiiiiiiiin poo. I asked my doc, and he said that a lot of times, it's typical for us.

Sign me up! I sometimes have the long skinny poop thing too. If it was all the time I'd be worried. Sometimes I think it's a dietary thing, other times I think it's just squished by spasms or inflammation.

LOL Shantel, just looking at your join date and mine and comparing the number of posts we've made... and the fact that I'm still a New Member but you've overtaken me to become a Senior Member. I could feel kind of inadequate but I won't :D

Last edited:
Me too!!! In fact, I just started a thread about it today, before I saw this one! For me, it gets skinnier as the day progresses. First thing in the morning...fairly normal. By lunch time...green beans.

I'm no expert, but I would guess it has something to do with inflammation and such. That could be why it gets thinner as the day goes on. More inflammation and irritation. <shrug>