• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lewis is doing well but daughter is symptomatic :o(

Hi guys I havnt posted in a coup,e of weeks since Lewis last abscess he seems to be doing better and is only prob is he bum.
My daughter has psoriosis diagnosed at Xmas but had probes with her skin and persistent sore throat . A Xmas she started getting stomach aches for a few days at a time we put her on a light diet but something was niggling me at the back of my mind , I guess I all no what it is .....

She has had 3 or 4 episodes of stomach ache nause on and of since january but I sent her in school to see how she got on she has been very tired and sleepy with these episode

She has been of school 4 or 5 times since since January with stomach ache severe nausea diarrioh then after a few days she picks up .

I've taken her to my docs and asked for a ref to a gi but in england u get refed to a general ped first then onto the relevan docs which all in all takes abou 6 months which is a joke really but that's the way our nhs system works and we are lucky we get it all free and don't have to worry about insurances, my issue is Lewis has nausea but never the runs he was always the other way

so I feel like I'm starting a learning all over again , I do hope it's just some sort ov a virus she cant shift but with her dx of psoriasis and her stomach aches and the runs I'm going to ask them to scope her do you think I'm being over cautious or should I push for It . She also had intermittent diarrioh last year bu it sorted it self out and we put I down to a bug , she s of school again only wanting to eat bland food and she has a slight temp , if she continues for more than a couple of days I. Thinking of takin her to a n e and see if they can push things through for us she has lost a small amour of weight but she has gone taller so. Pu it down to a growth spurt ,

Oh No!
What kind of diet did you put her on? Hope it is just a bug or something easily taken care of. My younger son went through it about a year ago. I was terrified it was going to be Crohn's turned out he is severly lactose intolerant.
Hoping for the best but if it does turn out to be Crohn's she will have a strong advocate in you.

I'm glad Lewis is doing well.:)

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter.:hug:....I know its easy to panic when you already have a child with crohns...Has your DR done any tests?

Hey jmrogers I just put her on a bland diet mash potato and chicken
I thinking of putting her on a gluten , diary, wheat msg free foods then introduce see if any trigger.
And upse mum the docs only done bloods all were o.k apart from mchc that was slightly rraised . But Lewis bloods always came back o.k even when he was flaring so I don't rely on blood work she's complaining of pains in her legs tonite , she does have hyper mobility so it could be that , because I'm so aware of the issues with crohns it makes your mind look into an detail but even her dad is concerned we were sat together the other night and he said its getting more frequent the episodes well have to wait till April but if she gets any worse I.ll hake her in. Does anyone else on the forum have two kiddies with crohns

Did she have a stool test to check for infection?

How old's your daughter?....if you don't mind me asking.

There are a few parents with 2 children with crohns..

No she hasn't yet she's only had a blood yes my doc has ref to a pediatric consultant so well do that in April when we see Her ellies 9 . She is son tired all the time she just wamts to stay on the couch and has concealed most after school activities saying she's just to tired .

Sorry to hear about your daughter. Has she had a faecal calprotectin done? I believe GP's can do them now. Could you ask your GP to get one sent away - it takes at least 6 weeks to come back. This was the only test that ever showed inflammation in Andrew. If you got that done now, there is a chance it might be back by the time you have the paediatrician appt. Or at least it should be back soon after and you could phone them with the results.

Tesscorm

Staff member
So sorry that you're daughter isn't well! I do hope it's not related to crohns but agree that her symptoms do warrant further testing!!!

Good luck... It so tough to have these worries constantly encircling us! :ghug: :ghug:

I'm glad Lewis is feeling well, but so sorry your daughter is not :( I hope you get answers. I think a scope is a good idea, I know I would want it. It can't hurt right? Good luck!

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Im sorry you are facing this. I know that every symptom my other children have make me think of crohn's... ugh! I think it is definitely time for a workup. Your GP should start with the usual stuff - stool studies, bloods, etc. while waiting for the consults. I would push for the colonoscopy too. I hope she just gets better in the meantime.

hi ladies . i.m going to ring me doc todwy and ask for the feacal calprotation test so they have it for when she goes to see the consultant . she had tests for anemia but all were good . she has picked up the lqst couple of days but still got the runs. shes in school and ive made them aware if she needs the loo she is to be allowed to go tbhey no all about lewis and ive told them ellie is having some probs. there is a teacher in school who has crohns she has been fab about everything and always reassures me when im having a bad few days .is there any moore tests they can be doing till she gets seen in april my docs are very good but they arnt well up on gi probs if i ask them for a something they usually just do it within reason . hope your all well.x

Hugs, I think this is every parents worry on here.

I think your right on with the stool test. Has she had labs done yet?

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I think the CP test is a good start. It showed inflammation when the blood wasn't picking it up. My ped was actually happy to see the elevation, because she felt then we had something we could follow to see if her treatment is working...

Sending hugs I know how difficult this can be. My littlest one had a work up and all was normal but she still gets stomach aches and occasional blood in her stools. The GI wants to see if she outgrows it and we are not yet pushing for a scope. The blood has been less frequent but the stomach aches have picked up a bit. Then my middle daughter strted getting severe stomach aches. All her tests were normal and we have noticed a definite correlation between her eating dairy and the stomach a he's and also stress from school. We started homeschooling her and eliminated dairy and she has been much better. She had had some dairy the other day. ( begged me how could I say no?) and stomach ache again so it is definitly lactose intolerance. Have you noticed any correlation between something she eats and the stomach aches?

Hey ladies .
She had blood work but all was o.k bar her much was slightly higher than normal my doc said she didn't think it was anything to worry about ,
I think my go wasn't s to wait on doing more tests until she sees the paediatric consultant so she's not subjected to more blood tests and the poking and priding which I understand but I'm so I patient I want answers, like now , lol

We.ll put her on an elimation diet after shes seen the consultant in april as i dont want to miss anything by taking foods out of her diet
As i no it can give false readings if foods are taken away she will go on no wheat gluten, diary, MSG . We,ll do this for a couple of weeks see if any thing helps then introduce one at a time overly a two week period we did this with Lewis and it didn't make a difference , she's been fine today last night she had tummy ache and said she couldn't go to the toilet so gave her a stool softener ,

This was how Lewis started intermittent stomach ache and constipation and diorrioah but he had his abscess.s,
She's been really tired recently and saying her eyes are hurting I'm wondering if this is because she s tired though .
I've left a message with my doct about fractal cal protection test she should ring early next week as she's not in till Monday . Wish where's was a simple way to diagnose

my little penguin

Staff member
Has she seen an opthamalogist for her eyes?
Since some eye inflammation can be the first sign of crohn's.
Hugs hope she feels better soon and you get some answers

He s e an eye test this month she was given glass,s for reading last year as I wasn't happy with her normal eye doc I new something wasn't right so took her o my health visitor they ref,d her I didn't no crohns could effect he eyes, she has hyper mobile joints but I'm going o query this too and make sure it's not inflamation , her psoriosis is flaring again , god it's never ending just get lew on the tight track and now this .
Shes very good though shes always so happy and easy going she just sits andndoes sewing or colouring when she feel tired ,xx