• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lialda made symptoms worse, trying to figure out food triggers

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in November at age 27. As long as I can remember I have never had a regular system always at one end or the other but more often constipated which wasn't so bad. The worst part was always the awful gas, the worst smells imaginable. My mom told me I should at least talk to a doctor to make sure everything was ok.

Through family history, positive blood work markers and ulcers in my small intestine I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I was started on Lialda to help reduce inflammation symptoms to allow my small intestine to heal and was told to try cutting dairy and then gluten from my diet to see if it helped. But if anything I was feeling worse, more gurgle gut and diarrhea symptoms than before.

I did the FODMAP diet in January to try and figure out what food triggers I might have but even after this elimination diet, I was having bowel movements 6-10 times a day feeling worse than ever. This was my third month on Lialda and I told my doctor I thought it was the medication since this all got worse when I started. Within 3 days of being off Lialda I felt normal again.

Started adding foods back into my diet without any major symptoms. Thing is I never felt awful before being diagnosed. Dairy hasn't been an issue from what I can tell, but gluten has me cautious. I use to have gluten at breakfast lunch and dinner so I was nervous my body was now less accustom to it and would have stronger symptoms. So I test gluten foods every so often to see how I feel. Most the time its pretty fine, I think the gas is linked but my guts are ok.

But Carrabba's bolognese pasta has a really strong diarrhea reaction. Tried it with normal pasta and was on the toilet all the next day. A month later I tried it again but with gluten-free pasta, same reaction... so if it isn't gluten then what is it?? I eat tomatoes regularly.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in November at age 27. As long as I can remember I have never had a regular system always at one end or the other but more often constipated which wasn't so bad. The worst part was always the awful gas, the worst smells imaginable. My mom told me I should at least talk to a doctor to make sure everything was ok.

Through family history, positive blood work markers and ulcers in my small intestine I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I was started on Lialda to help reduce inflammation symptoms to allow my small intestine to heal and was told to try cutting dairy and then gluten from my diet to see if it helped. But if anything I was feeling worse, more gurgle gut and diarrhea symptoms than before.

I did the FODMAP diet in January to try and figure out what food triggers I might have but even after this elimination diet, I was having bowel movements 6-10 times a day feeling worse than ever. This was my third month on Lialda and I told my doctor I thought it was the medication since this all got worse when I started. Within 3 days of being off Lialda I felt normal again.

Started adding foods back into my diet without any major symptoms. Thing is I never felt awful before being diagnosed. Dairy hasn't been an issue from what I can tell, but gluten has me cautious. I use to have gluten at breakfast lunch and dinner so I was nervous my body was now less accustom to it and would have stronger symptoms. So I test gluten foods every so often to see how I feel. Most the time its pretty fine, I think the gas is linked but my guts are ok.

But Carrabba's bolognese pasta has a really strong diarrhea reaction. Tried it with normal pasta and was on the toilet all the next day. A month later I tried it again but with gluten-free pasta, same reaction... so if it isn't gluten then what is it?? I eat tomatoes regularly.
I can't handle tomatoes.

Lynda Lynda

I was just diagnosed with Crohns and for the past two months I have been drinking liquids only and occasionally experimenting with solid food with disastrous results.

Are you taking any prescription medications to treat your Crohns ?

I took Lialda when I had Ulcerative Colitis.

Seems you would be prescribed something stronger than Lialda for Crohns, but I am new here and could be wrong.

Take Care. 💕
Lynda