• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Life insurance applications and crohns

I have applied for life insurance and have crohns. Diagnosed three years ago and had a bowel resection surgery. I am taking biolgics. I am wondering if anyone has had problems getting life ins approved? I'm concerned they are going to try to deny me.

Hello....I have had crohn's and a resection plus a few other illness.....sleep apnea being another biggie and i am now uninsurable....thankfully I have insurance through work.
I think age may play a roll too.
You may want to look into insurance that does not require medical disclosure...these are usually for folks over the age of 50 and they are in smaller amounts..maybe up to 30,000.
AARP has a lot of info if you are in that age group.
If you are younger and do not have other illnesses and have been stable you may qualify but with a higher premium.....looking at a variable insurance plan vs a term plan may work out in the long run if you are younger and have the ability to pay a higher premium...this will also give you the opportunity to have this money grow like an investment and I believe you can borrow from it after a period of time.
Hope this helps a bit....good luck

I've been told my Crohn's does not disqualify me, just need to be stable for a period prior to applying. Premiums likely higher as well.

yup, i was told i just have to have been diagnosed for a year, then i can get life insurance... but on the flip side, how many murder shows have i seen where one partner kills the other for insurance money... hmmm, maybe i better rethink the life insurance....