• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Limited options for Vitamin C - any suggestions?

I cannot tolerate leafy greens, citrus fuits, or ascorbic acid supplements without severe diarrhea.

The only thing I know of I can tolerate with Vitamin C is strawberries (expensive and always go bad so fast) and sauekraut (ew).

Any other possible options?

not sure, I just bought the pill form. But there is also buffered vitamin c in the form of powder that is not acidic.

Capsicum/pepper, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, green peas, green tomatoes, radishes, kiwifruit, and pumpkin could be other options. Potatoes too. Can you get tinned strawberries where you are - or frozen? - good in smoothies. . It also might be worth checking whether raw vs cooked make a difference for you - both in how much vit c is lost, but also if it is easier to digest.

There are some databases online that are quite helpful with this sort of stuff i found kale.world recently. a bit odd, but seems useful! :)

my little penguin

Staff member
Acerola cherries have 1600 mg of vitamin C
Guava 376 mg
Green pepper 120 mg
Strawberry 89.4 mg
Papaya 86.5 mg
And orange at 70 mg

While the plain ascorbic acid could cause issues, have you tried any buffered forms, e.g. sodium ascorbate? There's also potassium ascorbate, and magnesium ascorbate, but they may cause issues too, so sodium may be safer.

Could it also be a tolerance issue? I.e. start off with a v. small amount of ascorbic acid powder, and gradually build up?

While the plain ascorbic acid could cause issues, have you tried any buffered forms, e.g. sodium ascorbate? There's also potassium ascorbate, and magnesium ascorbate, but they may cause issues too, so sodium may be safer.

Could it also be a tolerance issue? I.e. start off with a v. small amount of ascorbic acid powder, and gradually build up?
I'm using powder in a half gallon of water and it seems to be doing okay now.

You could be reacting to the additives in the vitamin supplements like emulsifiers.

buy a pill making machine some empty gelatin capsules and make your own vit c supps, but before you take high doses, high vit c is bad for inflammation in the way it reacts with free iron during inflammation. Never more then 600 mg per day I say.

camu camu?

i didnt worry about it too specifically, but i noticed that interesting one recently

more vit C than anything on earth or some such...