• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lingering fistula problems

Hello, first time posting. I'll try to keep this as brief as I can -

I was originally diagnosed with a fistula eight years ago and have had
eight operations, the last one being six years ago. Since then I have had
big spots come up now and then but it was manageable, (scans showed trace
amounts of the infection remained).

Three years ago I had a big flare up where spots just kept coming and never
went away , making me constantly uncomfortable (as my sister accidentally put vinegar in my bath). I took the bad decision of taking antibiotics
(flucloxacillin, a very strong dose) and a new inflammation then grew and
spread all over my backside, it's on the surface of the skin and looks and feels almost like how the skin blisters after a burn.

The doctors think it's scar tissue but I don't think that's the case, it keeps changing size and grows and is more painful when I eat spicy or oily or flour/pastry based foods. I tried getting rid of it a year ago by drinking nothing but green juice for six months which seemed to be working, it got gradually smaller but I couldn't get it to go completely as the strain on my body was too much and as soon as I ate something it ballooned up again.

So I'm in a position where the doctors don't know what it is and neither do I. It's very sensitive, I feel i'm walking a tightrope all the time as it is so reactive. I've tried ice baths, cider vinegar and teatree oil on it, and various diets but they don't seem to work. I might try green juice again but only as a last resort as it plays havoc with my digestion and takes months to recover from.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does anyone know what might work?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have had issues with fistulas since 2010' currently have 3 setons. I have had some issue with skin breakdown (a combination I think of circulation and from some leakage), not sure if it's exactly as you describe though, as it is more localised around the wounds.

When this happens, I have been advised to use Sudocrem, might be worth a try.

My only other suggestion (if you haven't already) is seek a second opinion.

I spent about 6 years being treated without success, but after getting a second opinion from a GI and also a different colorectal surgeon look at me, I had my trough levels for Humira checked and was found to be below therapeutic and I had an area of scaring which seemed to be harbouring small pockets of infection.

I had a surgery to clean these areas out, and was double dosed Humira. I have now had about 18 months of mostly normality (back at work after being off work for 6 years,etc). It's not perfect, I still have some pain and inflammation, and even had to have the 3rd seton put back in a few months ago, but had I not seen someone else for a review, I would likely still be off work and probably have more than the 3 seton.

I might come across as slightly overpassionate about seeking second opinions:ylol2:

Cheers,

Camo