• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Link between GMO and IBD

Just to play devil's advocate, what about the lot of us diagnosed before then? I got my diagnosis in 1989 but had suffered the better part of a year before that. So 8 years before GMO's. :)

Just to play devil's advocate, what about the lot of us diagnosed before then? I got my diagnosis in 1989 but had suffered the better part of a year before that. So 8 years before GMO's. :)
I'm not sure. I'm still looking into it. Crohns has been around since the early 1900s I believe. But in the mid 90s there was a DEFINITIVE SPIKE in the rates.

http://www2.niddk.nih.gov/NR/rdonly...98AB-07D27DB0D19B/0/BurdenDD_ch19_Jan2009.pdf

If you look at the article above there are charts on on the rates per 100,000 in Figure 1. Figure 5 which lists all cases of IBD is even more astonishing. There is a direct spike in 1996. That article above has no links to any environmental group either. I simply googled "rates of Crohns in the U.S over time" and clicked the first article.

Personally, I happened to be diagnosed right in the middle of that spike. Started experiencing symptoms in 1996, diagnosed in 1997.

btw Crohns gal-

Roundup (Glyphosate) has been in our food supply since the 1970s. Roundup destroys beneficial gut bacteria in your intestines. It's been proven over and over to cause intestinal damage. Roundup is an herbicide that is sprayed on so I don't think it can be classified as a "GMO".

Last edited:

kiny

It's called theory generating though.

The steam engine became widespread in the 1900 too, and we know small particles can affect the intestinal tract -> therefore steam engines cause crohn's disease

It's really easy to make links that aren't there.

i would like to say that i have had strange intestinal reactions to certain brands of wheat, and for a moment i considered it was the gluten content, but then realized i eat other grains like oats with plenty of gluten content that doesnt give me any bad effects. so i theorized that there is some other mechanism that creates this negative effect of some brands of wheat, i wonder if it has something to do with Genetically modified organisms/foods.

the brand of wheat that i can tolerate is gold medal brand wheat flour.

im not aware of any good research being done that connects gmo to ibd though, but i wouldnt be surprised if it exists tho. but that doesnt mean there is a connection.

there is some evidence that sucralose suppresses intestinal bacteria tho, and may be involved as a cause of IBD, but thats not the only thing that can damage the intestinal microbiome. Antibiotics can do this too.

Last edited:
It's called theory generating though.

The steam engine became widespread in the 1900 too, and we know small particles can affect the intestinal tract -> therefore steam engines cause crohn's disease

It's really easy to make links that aren't there.
lol, Did you look at the link where there was a spike in 1996 when GMO's were introduced? Do you have any idea how Bacillus Thuringiensis kills insects? Did you know peanut allergies doubled between 1997 and 2002?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess no.

I always laugh at how well people eat up material that comes directly from major food conglomerations that very well could be the reason a lot of us are sick.