• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Link between IBD and increased risk for skin cancer

Terriernut

Fair play to her, my IBD nurse told me that I MUST wear sun screen EVERYDAY while on 6MP. I do normally on my face anyway. I think she is used to us pasty white people over here. My nickname is the albino pigmy. But this is a very good reminder to all of us! Certainly I've noticed alot more skin problems while on 6mp!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I noticed a banner ad in my bank today (they have an info screen) that had the same headline....going to give the link a read when I get a chance...heaing OUT for the day!

I've had melanoma-in-situ twice and basal cell carcinoma 4-5 times (lost count). This was all post-diagnosis. I took Imuran for a few months in 2003 and it has all happened since then. I'm back on Imuran now, so I'll be watching my moles closely. I didn't know it was related. I still blame my overuse of the tanning bed in my teens.

Terriernut

And you're a redhead too! My family is all blonde or redhead. Lily white. We are def high risk without the meds!

Bring on that spray tan and 50 factor sunscreen.

Between Humira and Imuran, I have the most hideous case of Lichen Planus on my legs, arms and belly. Like the name says, it spreads all over like lichen. Haven't worn a dress over my ankles (not without tights) in donkey's years. Although I guess things could be a lot worse than my bellyaching over the loss of fashion choices!

Keep sunscreening, Albino Plgmy and fair-skinned redheads! My skin is brown so I've not had to use a tanning bed/tanner, but frankly, I'm thinking that's the only advantage!

Kismet