• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Liquid diet and bodybuilding - Crohn's

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well.

I had my appointment. Had a colonoscopy and an MRI in recent weeks. Turns out small bit of ulceration in the small bowel. Large is fine. Want to start me on some drug, not sure on the name - begins with 'P'! But it's not a strong drug.

I also said to them I would want to start the liquid diet, last time I did it I did it when my Crohn's was severe. Now that it's not sever I'm hoping to maybe put it to rest before it does get severe. She did say that liquid diets are only used when it's quite severe but I want to give it a shot.

I'm just thinking, I really am in to bodybuilding and adding mass to my body. I have a good diet as it is. Will the liquid diet be ok with Bodybuilding, will I be able to add mass? Does anyone know of any drinks with a higher protein content?

And lastly, would I be able to take protein supplements which aren't given in the perscription such as my whey protein?

Thanks!!

Yes you can. However, the drink you pick will be crucial. Slim fast, ensure, boost ect will not surfice. Too much sugar, and bad macro ratio's for bodybuilding. Ask you doctor for either peptamen 1.5 or pivot 1.5. Pivot has a better protein to carb ratio for adding muscle, but tends not to agree with as many people as peptamen does. The safe bet would be peptamen 1.5. It is an elemental drink specifically formulated for impaired digestive tracts. So it will absorb really really easy. It is absolutely perfect for a post workout shake. You can better the protein/carb ratio by adding whey protein isolate. The protein will be fine - isolate is very easy to absorb. You may find you gain weight a little too easy, as the high carb content will cause a bit of bloat if you don't regulate the ratio with protein. I have bulked on just these cans many times while my crohn's came and gone. I still drink them everday, but nowdays just post workout and in the mornings.

Last edited:
BWS helped me a lot, he has a ton of info on this topic.

The issue will be keeping up your calories for building the muscle. Sometimes the best you can do it take in a lot of protein (I shoot for around 100g's a day) to maintain some muscle, Casein before bed, L Glut and BCAA pills to make sure you are getting what you need.

As long as the whey doesn't make me sick I down it. Love my ON 100%.

Thanks for the great advice, I'll take note of them drinks when I speak with my dietician. I love my food, and I know how important diet is - so it's going to be tough. But hey, least I don't have to spend hours preparing my food!

So is Whey protein OK? I mean, I'm only allowed water and these drinks! :\

Thanks for the great advice, I'll take note of them drinks when I speak with my dietician. I love my food, and I know how important diet is - so it's going to be tough. But hey, least I don't have to spend hours preparing my food!

So is Whey protein OK? I mean, I'm only allowed water and these drinks! :\
Whey is ok. Just make sure you dilute it with the right amount of water, and you should be good. You want to keep that osmolarity level down. If you want to maximize absorption, I wouldn't advise chugging it. The slower the better. Except for post workout. That is when you want to take advatange of quick nutrient intake.

Last edited:
Hi Ziggy,

The label on ensure high protein says:

Nutrient density (Cal/mL) 0.96
Protein (% Cal) 21
Carbohydrate (% Cal) 55
Fat (% Cal) 24

And for peptamen 1.5:

Protein: 18%
Carbohydrate: 49%
Fat: 33%

Ensure also has a version for diabetics that has slower burning carbs.. and I'm guessing ensure tastes a lot better than peptamen, but then I've never tasted it..

Hi Bobby,

Protein shakes are a routine part of my diet before my recent flare up, and even more so now since it makes my cramps less intense. I use a whey protein from Costco, but may soon try a soy protein to see if there is any difference. I always mix with water, and add in a scoop of greens supplement (Green Vibrance is the brand I use). I have gone 25 years without taking meds before this flare up, and I'm finding that right now, when I eat food that is hard to digest it really takes away my energy. Thus, I added the greens supplement- much less residue. The other suggestions mentioned here too are good too. I like to keep extra protein shakes handy at work too just in case.

Good to hear you want to keep up your workouts, and don't get too upset if not getting the results like you did before. I just tried going back to the gym and it was too hard (I had dropped 7 pounds in 2 weeks due to my flare up), so I am starting real slow again. But, I can do a yoga class and that is definitely helping me feel better!

Best,
Hobbes