• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Liquid diet

liquid diet

my daughter whos 20yrs is in a crohns flare,she had choice of steroids or liquid diet so she went for liquid diet she has to be on this for 6 weeks an already as done 5 days an coping ok !! they said she could have sugar free squahes (the only ones i can find is robinsons no added sugar are these ok ??) anyone had them ?? also they said tea no milk or sugar does anyone know if she can have herbal teas..an is anyone on liquid diet an how are they coping an can or does it put you in remission(her drinks are freshubin mixed flavours she shes they taste fine...................

this is a worldwide site so treatment can differ slightly but i too am from the UK and was on a liquid diet for a year but i have to say that i'm shocked your daughter isn't allowed sugar or milk?...i was allowed anything as long as it was liquid and the only solid i was allowed was jelly. it must be a kind of clear liquid diet she is on then, the robinsons no added sugar squash will be fine. and teas such as green tea and peppermint tea will be fine also.
i'm glad she thinks the drinks are fine, i have personally never heard of them, i was on fortisips, clinutron and modulen. im sure they're all the same though. it did not put me in what i class as complete remission but i felt it gave my digestive tract a chance to relax and that was good to know and it relieved major symptoms such as pain to some extent.
i'm glad she is coping well on it, steroids are quite a major drug and it is good to try and avoid them if other options are given and available.
all the best. hannah

I was on a liquid diet for 6 weeks too (Ensure drinks only for the first 2 weeks then they let me have strained soups and jelly) and was mainly drinking water with it but I was told the robinson's no added sugar was okay if i felt like it. Not sure about the teas as I have never liked them so it wasn't something I discussed. As far as remission goes, I was also on steroids so we aren't sure whether it was the diet or the meds that helped me but I think it gave my bowel a chance to heal which I believe is the reason my symptoms haven't returned :D
Glad your daughter is coping well - it helps that she doesn't mind the taste of the drinks, every one of mine was a battle 'cause I thought they tasted awful! Hope things go well for her :) x

Done liquid diets for years on and off. There work about 75-80% of the time for me. Usually you will need the whole 6 weeks to see a market improvement. I will either use this strategy as soon as I see a flare coming, and if I catch it soon enough, it can usually pull me through. Or if I am in a bad flare, I'll use it to bridge until I can schedule a remicade. Or use it in a bad flare in conjunction with another aid like pred or remi. it would be perfect to use with prednisone for anyone wanting to transition for say remicade to LDN (where you have to stay off all biologics for atleast 8 weeks). Obviously wean off the pred after. If I can go on prednisone @ 40mg or less for no more than 2.5 - 3 weeks, I can usually come off fine (weaning).

Rules of thumb :

Always have an elimental drink to substitute calories (already pre digested). Always make sure the osmolarity of the canned drink is no more than 400. If it is above that, then you can lower the osmolarity by just adding some water - like 100 - 200cc's/ml.

I was on a liquid diet for 6 weeks too (Ensure drinks only for the first 2 weeks then they let me have strained soups and jelly) and was mainly drinking water with it but I was told the robinson's no added sugar was okay if i felt like it. Not sure about the teas as I have never liked them so it wasn't something I discussed. As far as remission goes, I was also on steroids so we aren't sure whether it was the diet or the meds that helped me but I think it gave my bowel a chance to heal which I believe is the reason my symptoms haven't returned :D
Glad your daughter is coping well - it helps that she doesn't mind the taste of the drinks, every one of mine was a battle 'cause I thought they tasted awful! Hope things go well for her :) x

Great to hear it worked for you!

However I would definitely reccommened an elemental drink, so that you're body doesn't carry the digestive work normally needed. I don't believe ensure is one. Not that it wouldn't work, however the elemental cans (modulen, element something, pitot 1.5, peptamen 1.5) would be far supirior for our situation.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi buster and welcome! I don't have experience with a liquid diet, but I wanted to wish your daughter luck. I hope she feels great after the 6 weeks is through. Tell her to hang in there!

thanks for all your information on liquid diets.. hannah my daughter is the same age as you so its nice to hear from the same age group..she only has 2 weeks left now on the freshubin an as done so well no probs at all an she does not mind the taste of them she is looking forward to reintroducing food she see the dietician so she is now counting the days so proud of her an all of you out there that has been strong enough to do this !!!! they have decided at the london hospital (dr lynsay) to put her on infiximab as they think this will put her back on the road to remission her first infushion is 10th aug....she is feeling great at the moment an is looking forward to starting her new treatment she is a very possative girl with a great attitude to life an i believe this helps her so much during a flare........good luck hannah an thankyou to everyone else who commented.........

Great to hear it worked for you!

However I would definitely reccommened an elemental drink, so that you're body doesn't carry the digestive work normally needed. I don't believe ensure is one. Not that it wouldn't work, however the elemental cans (modulen, element something, pitot 1.5, peptamen 1.5) would be far supirior for our situation.
Ensure in the UK isn't the same as the Ensure you have in the states. Ours is elemental and it's only available via prescription :)