• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Liver biopsy - risky or not?

I'm headed for surgery. My gi is proposing having a liver biopsy during surgery due to what was a temporary slightly elevated blood number, which has since returned to normal; he wants to rule out sclerosing cholangitis. Any thoughts on whether I should permit a biopsy during what was supposed to be just a small bowel surgery? I'm not sure how risky it is and since my bloods came back down, not sure if there's much of a concern anyway.

Mark I have had 3 biopsies due to psc. I Image it's better to have under a general rather than local. You will need to remain flat for 12 hours afterwards but guessing after surgery you won't be able to move around to much anyhow. I think also being able to see the liver might help get a good sample if part of it is damaged or discolored as when doing a biopsy throughout the skin it's really a hit n miss. Hope all goes well. Let me know if you need any more advice. I've had psc for 15 yrs.