• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Liver Panel results elevated

I've been on mercaptopurine for about a year now, and currently take 100mg/day. On Tuesday I had my blood drawn for a CBC and liver panel. The doctor called yesterday with my results (not usually a good thing) and wants a re-test in 3 weeks. My Neutrophils were elevated but the big concern of his were elevated AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT). This happened last time I was on mercaptopurine, and I had to go off it. Unfortunately, this also seems to be the only medication that really works to combat my Crohn's (and even that is iffy at best).

I guess what I want to know is if anyone else has had elevated liver tests but been able to stay on mercaptopurine.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
So far i have not had elevated liver tests. I am at 75mg at the moment and I am curently awaiting the results of my first 6-TG and 6-MMP test.

What else have you tried other than 6-MP? Have you discussed your remaining alternatives with your doctor?

Sorry you have to go through this. I know it's not easy with all these meds and it gets really frustrating especially considering all the risks and side effects we have to deal with. I hope you can figure something out. :hug:

I've tried remicade, humira and methotrexate (as well as some things I tried in the late '80s/early '90s that I can't remember any more). In the past, other than steroids (which are short term solutions) 6MP is all that works. Well, actually, the methotrexate works, but the side effects are so severe that I might as well be sick with the Crohn's.

But as my abdominal pain is getting worse by the day, I am sure that steroids are in my near future.

When my liver enzymes went up with Imuran, I was taken off right away and told never to take it again.

Sounds like you've tried so much, I hope they find the right thing.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
some doctors attempt combining certain medications to see if they induce/maintain remission. something to think about given your situation.

If 6-MP doesn't work for me I will be doing a 6-MP/Humira combo.

Sounds like you have been struggling for a long time :(

Steroids are not meant to be used long term/are only a temporary quick fix for majority of us. I would suggest you and your doctor go over all of your options including surgery if you have not done that already as well.

some doctors attempt combining certain medications to see if they induce/maintain remission. something to think about given your situation.

If 6-MP doesn't work for me I will be doing a 6-MP/Humira combo.

Sounds like you have been struggling for a long time :(

Steroids are not meant to be used long term/are only a temporary quick fix for majority of us. I would suggest you and your doctor go over all of your options including surgery if you have not done that already as well.
I've had 2 bowel resections. I'd really like to avoid another surgery if I can. I'm not sure if there is much more to try, though. Unfortunately, the Humira didn't help, and my disease actually got much worse while I was on it. My doctor said there is something (I can't remember what it is called) that I can take with the 6MP to mitigate the liver issues.

My doctor is very good. He specializes in IBD, so I feel like he knows what he's doing and he listens to me and takes my issues very seriously. He offered to have me do a drug trial, but I don't want to go that route.

I started 6MP and Remicade at the same time. After 2-ish months, my liver enzymes were slightly elevated for a few weeks. We watched them, and also decreased my 6MP dose (although we were going to do that anyway), and everything normalized after a few weeks, and it's been fine ever since.