• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Liver problems

My wife's nephew has had some recent health issues. He was quite a healthy guy in his 20s, but recently lost a lot of weight, constant D, passing blood. Sound familiar?
At first the doctors were looking for cancer, but now they're thinking that he has severe crohns and his entire colon is badly inflamed. However, he has had some abnormal results back regarding tests on his liver... sorry, don't know the full details, but I was wondering if anyone has some knowledge or information on the connection between crohns and liver problems.
I have 3 monthly blood tests, including liver function, but that's related to taking azathioprine.
Any thoughts or comments would be welcome

A friend of ours is on aza for an auto-immune liver problem - he turned yellow. So it could all be linked.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
When I was on Mercapturine ( I believe 6mp) it affected my liver last Christmas almost instantly. Not sure if it is Crohn's related or a side effect of meds.

So sorry he is going through so much, at such a young age. Let us know what happens, ok? Take care.

Thanks for the replies. It's still at an early stage, but we want to make sure he pushes to have the tests on his liver and make sure they cover all bases. He has three young children and at one stage the prognosis looked very bad... now we're hoping that (if it is crohns) he can get the medication sorted out and get somewhere back to normal. As you know, everyone is different with this disease

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Yes, the liver can be effected during bouts of severe Crohn's inflammation. Mine was. It was a long time ago and I have forgotten the details.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
It's amazing the problems that inflammation can cause in different people. I learn something new every day about this disease. Did you consult Dr. Google to see what's out there?? I'm too chicken to look right now. I hope he starts to feel better.:)

Is he taking any medications at all?

It is unusual to have Liver problems without something triggering it, such as using acetaminophen for pain relief, or a viral infection.

The first test they will likely do is for Hepatitis, but there is likely many possibilities.

Dan

ooh - I have regularly had odd liver function results, and I mean for years - long before I was diagnosed with crohn's.... I have no idea about the significance or otherwise, but I will ask my GP what he thinks...

Very useful answers, thanks
Dan... no medications up until now, and he doesn't drink much... that's what I understand.
Looks like there can be a connection, but it's not common and may be more related to medication
The docs appear to have backpedalled a bit on the liver issues once they fixed their diagnosis on crohns/colitis... but it looks like it needs investigating whether it's related to crohns or not
Lishy... don't make a special trip to the doc, but if you find anything out any information will be gratefully received.
Cheers, folks!

I have also had weird results from liver function tests over the years. I think the primary tests are AST & ALT, but I'm not sure exactly what the acronyms stand for. I believe they both measure different types of enzymes the liver produces. But for years I've had instances of higher than normal readings followed by normal results. Someone mentioned hepatitis, & yeah, that's usually the first thing they always look at. Then there's always cirrhosis, and something called fatty liver. Because my results have always settled back into a normal range when re-tested my docs have never taken things any further. But now with Crohn's in the picture for the last year+, my GI has said he may want to do a liver biopsy if we continue to get these funky results.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Creepy Lurker said:
I think that Crohn's can cause bile-duct problems, which can cause issues with the rest of the liver.

Correct me if I'm mistaken :p

I haven't heard it in Crohns but I have a gf of mine who has colitis and she has that problem she says it is friggen painful. Also is worse if she eats beef. No idea why. But you could be on to something Creepy.
:)
Pen

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Creepy Lurker said:
I think that Crohn's can cause bile-duct problems, which can cause issues with the rest of the liver.

Correct me if I'm mistaken :p
I saw on another post how Crohn's can attack the gallbladder. There are medical journals sited online...This is one wacked disease. Inflammation is crazy.

I'm in remission (for me) but still get a few crohns stuff on blood tests..like high platelets, low b12, low vit D.
Everything else seems pretty normal but something to do with the liver was high and my GI said it was really nothing of concern in this case. So maybe it is linked somehow?

:(

I been kinda nervous myself. I am on 30 mg pred and pentassa...my liver enzymes were up but coming down...I got really scared and freaked out...I thought I was dying...I'm hoping its from the drugs...Anyone else experience this? I am really freaked, my husband is going to kill me if he finds out I'm back on line about this...I thought after the first test, I was dying...No kidding--I'm a newbie here, but then the second test came down a little...Anyone else have this when they are having a flair? Sue

Back about 20 years ago I became jaundiced for no reason my liver enzymes were off the board. They did every test in the book I also was running fever and my urine was the color of coke. I was hospitalized for about 6 days they gave me steroids ( I was also having about 8 bms a day all D). All hepatitis tests were neg.The finally said I had auto immune hepatitis. It all cleared up after weeks of nausea and the worse fatigue I ever experienced in my life. I then got the same symptoms about 2 mos later.I didn't believe this that I had auto immune hep. I moved to a new city changed GI docs I also was having symptoms D nausea and just not feeling good. This new Doc ran me through the mill and said I had UC and the jaundice could be due to this. He says everything is filtered thru the liver from the bowel and I could have had an infection in my bowel that inflamed my liver. I now have been dx with crohns. Have had many flares but never had those symptoms again. I have tho had some elevations in my ALT's and some of the other enzymes in the liver. But you know I did some reading on Pentasa (mesalamine) and this drug can cause high ALTs and others. I hope this helps anyone. Bethyd78

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
prior to going on aza, i was having blood tessts every 2 months to check liver function and the rest

Liver

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I am such a hysteric...which is why I think I should have been on zanax all my life!! I always assume the worst. I need to find a good therapist or support tgroup...someone to call on over here...I am usually such a level headed person...Seriously, I own my own business (stress) but, I get myself so worked up. I am glad and sorry to hear that it does sometimes make our liver enzymes go wacko...whatever...I have to get it out of my head. THank you hagain...Sue:tongue:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Sue-2009 said:
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I am such a hysteric...which is why I think I should have been on zanax all my life!! I always assume the worst. I need to find a good therapist or support tgroup...someone to call on over here...I am usually such a level headed person...Seriously, I own my own business (stress) but, I get myself so worked up. I am glad and sorry to hear that it does sometimes make our liver enzymes go wacko...whatever...I have to get it out of my head. THank you hagain...Sue:tongue:
It would do you the world of good to see a therapist, I was told when I was first diagnosed to see one, the teaching Gi says when you have a disease like this, getting your feelings out helps reduce stress and in this case I think it would be a good idea. You could see a difference in yourself.