• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Living with effects of Ileocolic resection

Hey Guys,

I am new around these parts and am somewhat an outsider because I don't actually have Crohn's. However, about a year and a half ago I experienced a freak medical complication which brought on waves of severe pain throughout the day for about 4 months. Finally, the pain became constant and I was forced to go to the Emergency room, where they finally performed a CT scan after hours of excruciating pain. It turned out I had what is referred to as "Telescoping Intestines" and needed to have an emergency surgery to remove 8 inches from my small and large intestines. That is how I ended up here. While the cause of my surgery was not Crohn's, I have found that the surgery was identical to many of you and wanted to reach out for help.

At this point I have recovered fully and feel great, except for some major digestive issues resulting from the loss of my ileum and my inability to re-absorb liquids (Diarrhea.) I have been put on Questran twice a day to help with the absorbtion and while it does seem to help to regain some regularity, this seems to be a very temporary fix.

Basically, I just wanted to see if any of you have had similar issues that have lasted an extended period of time and if there are any every day tricks you have learned to help control the symptoms.

Thank you so much for your input!

Hi johnny,
welcome to the forum! My daughter had a resection and it took a while but eventually her stools became less liquify. Not really fully formed but not completely diarrhea either. she was on questran for a while but no longer takes it.

Hi Johnny. A big welcome from me too and glad you found us. I lost my IC valve and cecum too. I haven't had major problems with loose stools, but I do find if I eat a lot of fatty food, it goes straight through! Same with highly processed foods, so I try to avoid them.