• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lonely, Tired, and Depressed

My name is Micheal. I have recently been diagnosed with Crohns. I went to the doctor for a physical. The stool smear test came back abnormal. I was then referred to a gastroenterologist. You know when I went up there they said do not worry it is probably nothing. And they scheduled me for a colonoscopy. I have a hard time taking any medication, tums or antacids. I stayed away from all of that. Well I was put under for the colonoscopy. When I woke up the doctor was waiting. He did not look the same as when I went under. Apparently the right side of my colon was nearly closed due to stricture. The scope was unable to pass. I had no idea what he was talking about. He asked if I was in any pain. I said I did not feel one single thing. No pain, no diarrhea, no fever, nothing. Apparently this was unusual. Right away they started me on prednisone. Quite a heavy dosage. They waited thirty days then another colonoscopy. They added Entocort after that. Waited another month then another scope. I have just had my third scope. I am now on Humira. Since starting the drugs, I have the most excruciating pain, I cannot eat salads, fruit, or nuts anymore. I run to the bathroom in an instant. The medicine has amplified everything. I do not want to eat. I am afraid to drink. Everything is hitting me. How do you deal with it. How do you work, eat, socialize with this disease ?

Sorry for what you are going through right now. I wish I could tell you exactly what is going on, but am new at this as well and was just recently diagnosed. All I can say is hang in there and give medicine a chance. Maybe try a low residue diet. That helped me. It gets easier once symptoms are under control.

Welcome to the club no one wants to join!all the foods you,ve mentioned are common triggers start making homemade soups for your veggie fix it,ll get better when your meds kick in.ptience i,m afraid,it gets better.good luck all the best

You need to give the medication time to work. With a stricture you have to be so careful of what you eat. I am afraid my advise is the same as everyone else, low residue diet. With a stricture, you can get obstructed so no fibre. Have they suggested trying to dilate the stricture or is it too narrow?

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello there

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time of it lately. I hope it's not too long before you are feeling a little more yourself.

Unfortunately, crohns disease is often a waiting game. Many of the medications can take time to build in your system and begin working and then it can take even longer for you to actually start feeling the difference.

With an area of inflammation as severe as yours sounds it will take some time for it to reduce enough for you to actually feel the difference.

It may be that the stricture is actually made up of a mixture of New inflammation and old scar tissue. In which case the medication can treat the active inflammation but won't do anything for the scar tissue which can only be treated with surgery.

Another thing that could be contributing to your pain is the amount of colonoscopies you're having, the preps can be very aggravating and the scopes themselves can increase discomfort. After my colonoscopy I felt like my insides had taken a real beating for days.

Keep your diet simple, broths/soups, chicken, rice, plain potatoes etc can all be good choices when your not feeling well.

I want to than everyone for the advice. I have tried it all. I have been on Humira. It helped to clear up my colon and they are able to get through. Now they have found strictures in my small bowel and I am having sharp pains on my left side. They are setting me up for surgery because apparently the Humira is not working. I am hoping for the best. So far I know they are removing the right side of my colon and whatever stricture they find in the small intestine. Now I am really stressed. I have sent my children to stay with friends because I do not want them to stress. Does anyone know what the stabbing pain in the left side could be.

Hi michael. Sorry to hear you have joined our little club here. I've had Crohn's for 18 years so I know what you are going thru. If they have only done colonoscopys I would ask them to do a endoscopy while your under so they can see everything. As far as your pain on the left side it could be a number of things from the disease itself to after scope gas or they may have biopsied a piece of tissue etc. like everyone one said soft diet for a while. I know it sucks but you can still drink! :). Lol. As far as socializing it really depends on how severe your Crohn's is. I would try right now to reduce your stress level. Even ask for an antidepressant. Dealing with a chronic illness takes a toll mentally as well as physically and trust me stress makes things worse. Get as much help with your kids as you can for now. Good luck hang in there you are not alone. Keep us updated

Up until about three months before I got sick, I also didn't really notice anything wrong either. I felt fine - then my colon swelled shut and I got an infection. In retrospect, I'd trained myself to believe that all the symptoms I've always had (in retrospect, my mother and I think I've had crohns since I was eight) was all in my head. Largely because I was always told I was making my symptoms up so I stopped complaining.

I wish I had smart words to make you feel better, I can only promise you'll learn to cope and that you aren't alone.