• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long, continuing threads or Short and to the point ?

Long and continuous threads or Short and to the point ?

• I prefer to read a continuous thread

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I prefer to read a thread that is short and to the point

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Depends on the nature of the thread

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

Crohn's Mom

I am curious as to how everyone feels about what's best for posting here;
Do you prefer someone to have a long and continuous thread (even if it covers several different topics ) ?
Or do you prefer a short, one question with answers to that particular question only; and then move on to posting a new thread with a new question, or topic?

I myself prefer to keep a continuous thread, or two, to do with my daughter ~ but then again, sometimes I feel like it becomes too long, and overwhelming for people to keep up with; or for new comers to bother to read due to its length.

So, what do you prefer ?
And why if you don't mind :)

KWalker

I personally think it all depends on the thread. For example, my SCD journey thread doesn't specifically remain about me and my experience but I also like it because it engages others to ask questions and we also use it to interact with each other and share our experiences among one another.

On the other hand, I think it's important to make sure everybody gets proper attention in a thread because I notice sometimes that newer members post intro posts in a thread similar to their questions and it sometimes goes unnoticed so it's important to give them their own thread as well.

Crohn's Mom

On the other hand, I think it's important to make sure everybody gets proper attention in a thread because I notice sometimes that newer members post intro posts in a thread similar to their questions and it sometimes goes unnoticed so it's important to give them their own thread as well.
I totally agree with that KW :)
It does seems sometimes people get "lost" in long threads.

I like the way the threads are set up in the Parents Forum, it is how we get to know one another. I don't mind that the threads are long and I like that I can check in with each Parents thread and keep up with how the child is doing. For some reason with C though I keep starting new ones...weird.

But I know that sometimes you have a question and it may not pertain to the thread or whatever so I understand the short ones too.

my little penguin

Staff member
If it needs a quick response then short or new
Otherwise basically the long threads are personal journey threads documenting a specific path such as scd / remicade etc. or persons history
Make sense

Yep, agree with long threads for "journey" short to the point for questions probably makes it easier for somebody doing a search to get some quick info

Tesscorm

Staff member
^^^ ditto ^^^ That's what I've tended to do with Stephen's thread... keep the journey in one thread (and the info easy for me to locate) but, when I have a very specific question, I have started a separate thread.

And, I do think that the 'separate' threads asking a specific question can become more 'informative' threads, can lead to more discussion and more exchange of knowledge, like the current Multi-Vitamin thread in the Parents forum.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I agree that it depends on the thread. Some are easily answered yet other answers lead to more questions. If the thread is really long and I'm new coming in, I only read the OP's posts so I can get a general feel of what's already been asked or answered and if there are further concerns that have yet to be addressed. Even if another poster asks a question, the OP usually responds saying that they don't know the answer so I go find the question/issue and see if I can address it.

Just because the thread is long doesn't mean that I wont check it out. I go by the title usually and share my experience/research in case it hasn't been mentioned yet.

So if anything, have a descriptive title to what the thread is about. You can even edit your own thread stating that there's an update and add what the update is. If you can no longer edit your first post (it can only be done a certain number of times for a regular member) then contact a moderator or report the thread asking for an edit of the title and or the first post so you can add information as needed for newcomers/returning members to the thread.

I like my long thread.
It reminds me about the path I have traveled and how far I have come.
And I have done it with an amazing group of incredibly supportive people - without whom I'm not sure I would have made it.
On the days I couldn't get out of bed - I spent a lot of time reading the very long threads that also reflected a persons journey.
These gave me so much hope.
I feel so lucky that others have shared so much, that I have benefitted from.
I think long threads are great.

Short ones are also brilliant for specific questions and sharing funny episodes or anecdotes.

Crohn's Mom

I like my long thread.
It reminds me about the path I have traveled and how far I have come
I like my long thread too Samboi !
I have two long ones actually. Sometimes, when I'm feeling down and think that things aren't getting better for my girl, I go back and read them from the time I joined here. It puts things into perspective for me as to just how far she's actually come. :)

Crohn's Mom

I wish more people would do the poll here even if they don't put a response :)

170 views and only 14 poll responses ! LOL yikes

annawato

Staff member
i like the way threads just develop, some short with a question answered and others become almost a chat forum (in the stoma sub forum anyway).
I think the MOST important thing is having a good title so that its easy to find when people search. When I was new here I had a lot of difficulty finding threads that were relevant to my search. (could just be me though)

Tesscorm

Staff member
I can't respond to the poll bcz none of the options apply. "I don't care" isn't really accurate and I don't 'prefer' either... I think the right answer for me would be along the line of 'depends on the nature of the thread - information or journey'. Maybe others are having difficulty choosing as well???

annawato

Staff member
I don't think you've offended anyone at all. And if you have I can't imagine why. :)
Depends on the nature of the thread could be a good inclusion, that was probably my answer but picked don't care as most appropriate of the three. :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I tend to prefer a long continuous thread. And there are NO prizes for guessing that would be my response!

For myself it acts as a journal, a way of tracking and retrieving information.

For others, I find it easier to follow a story if it is in one thread as pulling the pieces together can be difficult when they are scattered.

Having said that I do believe that information that is required urgently or that is very specific in nature benefits from a separate thread.

Dusty. :)