• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long haul travel with Humira

Hey guys,

Heading on honeymoon to West Coast US from Dublin in a couple of months, just thinking about the logistics.

Gonna get a letter from my doc so I can carry onboard the plane and have it stored in the fridge (I'll have 2 doses with me). However, once I inject, where am I gonna dispose of the syringe? I'm not going have a sharps bin with me obv so will the hotel help me out? I can't really just throw it in the bin in the room... Anyone have any practical advice that can help?

Also when I got my Humira starter pack in December, the little thermal bag was missing (to keep cool when out of the fridge - we're going to be travelling around a lot by car and plane). The nurse at the time said they were working on improving the design of it so it was temporarily withdrawn.
Anyone recently got a starter pack - just wondering if they had a new thermal pack yet- might call my nurse anyway and check but seeing if any if you guys had any insider info?

Travelling with Humira is tricky depending on what you're planning. You need to talk to your provider to see what arrangements they can offer.

When I moved from the US to the UK, I just used a thermal lunch bag and some ice packs to keep my Humira safe and cold. It wasn't ideal because it was a bit big, but I did have two months worth with me.

In terms of disposing of the syringes, you may be able to take the used ones to a pharmacy (like a Walgreens or CVS, etc.) and they might be able to help. I found this website regarding syringe disposal in the US: http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7002&id=10284.

Hey guys,

Heading on honeymoon to West Coast US from Dublin in a couple of months, just thinking about the logistics.

Gonna get a letter from my doc so I can carry onboard the plane and have it stored in the fridge (I'll have 2 doses with me). However, once I inject, where am I gonna dispose of the syringe? I'm not going have a sharps bin with me obv so will the hotel help me out? I can't really just throw it in the bin in the room... Anyone have any practical advice that can help?

Also when I got my Humira starter pack in December, the little thermal bag was missing (to keep cool when out of the fridge - we're going to be travelling around a lot by car and plane). The nurse at the time said they were working on improving the design of it so it was temporarily withdrawn.
Anyone recently got a starter pack - just wondering if they had a new thermal pack yet- might call my nurse anyway and check but seeing if any if you guys had any insider info?
Claire, I just got my new starter pack yesterday, and it had a travel bag, but I don't know how long the kit was in my Dr's office.