• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long-term Crohn's management without the usual Crohn's meds

Another thread on here started by Sarah17 got me thinking that it would be interesting to discuss a bit the various experiences and approaches people had during phases when they did not take any of the standard Crohn's meds (biologics/immunosuppresives/5-Asa/corticosteroids).

After taking aza for 5 years I initially phased it out in 2008 because a. I was *sort of* in remission but b. I had quite some problems with anaemia and my doc said if I generally feel good otherwise, we should try to phase out the azathioprine and see whether that helps with the anaemia. Interestingly enough two things happened: 1. I stayed somewhat in remission, at least for the first year or so things didn't become worse but 2. the anaemia stuck around too.

Well, since 2010 I have been on aza again and in a really good remission, practically symptom free for the last 15 months (no anaemia any more, I do a lot of sport, take vitamin and the right iron supplements etc.). I am now considering to phase out aza again next year and see what happens.

Any thoughts or experiences with going off Crohn's meds after being on them for a while?

nogutsnoglory

I was on the Paleo diet for a few months while off meds but lost so much weight and got worse. Now I'm on Cimzia and Apriso.