• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long term insurance question, what do you think this means?

So this is the first line in my handbook...
If you are disabled, Standard Life will pay you a monthly benefit. To be eligible for this benefit, your Long Term Disability (LTD)
Insurance must be in force at the onset of your disability.

Whats the onset of my disability... is it the day I can't work anymore or is it the day I was diagnosed?

I would guess the day you can't work anymore, but I'm not sure. Good question for either your HR person or the insurance company.

I'm a bit nervous by me asking that question some weird red flags will go off and they'll ask why I'm asking... They don't know I have any sort of illness.

I'm a bit nervous by me asking that question some weird red flags will go off and they'll ask why I'm asking... They don't know I have any sort of illness.
I would hope you could ask questions without your company raising any flags, but I can understand your concern.

Is there an added cost to you for signing up for LTD (there is in our company)? If so, you can just say you want to be clear about what you are getting for your money. Make up a hypothetical "back injury" as an example, and ask if the date is the onset of when you hurt your back, or the date you stopped working.