• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long-Term SCD Success

sawdust

Long story short: I'm looking for some interesting discussion here, but mostly, I'm looking for a few endorsements from people who have had long-term success with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

The rest of the story: I'm the kind of guy who's willing to put lots of effort into my diet. On a hunch that eating less preservatives and food chemistry might help, I planted a home garden last year, learned how to can at home, and canned lots of produce to eat throughout the year.

I spent a good amount of time this weekend talking to a fellow Crohnie who swears the SCD is the best thing since sliced (not) bread. ;) We spent a lot of time talking about ingredients, how it works, food prep time, commitment, cost, etc. This extreme intersects my GI's opinion, which is that diet can help alleviate/further aggravate symptoms, but is not the cause of flares or really any of this. I'm not good at living in the grey area. It's cold and strange. ;)

I took a look at the legal/illegal list and found it overwhelming. I looked at some recipes and skimmed the book and it looked a little more interesting. I looked at my friend, his results, and enthusiasm, and they were intriguing. But, I still arrive at the place that says that the extreme commitment requires me to feel better about its efficacy.