• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long term seton sufferers, How much Gunk?

I see in a lot of threads people say they have a little gunk/puss from there setons now and then.

But I would say mines the opposite, and wondered if anyone else is the same?

I recently had my stoma reversed as I suffered a prolapse and it had been slowly growing for a year. And decided It was enough, and as I started a new treatment which helped my put on weight and not need anti-biotics or painkillers I decided the time was right.

I know having my stoma reversed increased the chances of more gunk, but I was happy just to to manage this rather than a stoma as well.

The Gunk is painful if I don't push it out, even with my setons in.

So how have people reduced there output?

I can't understand how looser stools can help, as surely they get into the fistula tracs easier compared to formed stools?

I find salt baths or baths in general almost stop is coming out whilst i'm in the bath.

Also I was told at a leading Crohns hospital that anti-biotics although help temporarily, the infection is not really a bacterial infection. As the bugs from our gut cause the gunk/pus so if we were to stay on them forever it help reduce the gunk, but as we can't its not a long term solution.

What we need is the setons to be removed so the trac can heel up, but this isn't an option until the inflammation is under control.

I would be happier if I didn't have pain or dis-comfort and only a little gunk output. Standing still is the biggest issue for me, I just need to lie down! Sitting feels like I'm sat on a tennis ball. But once I push it out I feel a lot better.