• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long term use of Omeprazole

Does anyone have personal experience with using Omeprazole long term? My son has been using it for over a year. I hate to tinker with the regime when things seems to be working but read that Omeprazole is most often a short term approach.

Grace has been on it the whole time, about 3 years. No issues here but I was never warned about problems either. Hmmm I'll be asking the GI next week about this.
Grace has also cycled on and off Zantac.

Maya142

Staff member
M is on a different PPI now but has been on PPI's for 6 years. It's FAR from ideal, and we have tried to switch to Zantac/Pepcid several times, but they're just not enough for her. I think in her case, as long as she's on NSAIDs, she will need a PPI.

She does have bone density issues but we were told those are from the AS and not from PPI's.

my little penguin

Staff member
Reported Side Effects and Complications of Long-term Proton Pump Inhibitor Use
DISSECTING THE EVIDENCE
David A. Johnson; Edward C. Oldfield IV|Disclosures
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013;11(5):458-464.

INTRODUCTION
Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are medications that are ubiquitous in a gastroenterologist's practice. This class of medication has been available for commercial use for nearly 25 years and this class of acid-reduction agents has supplanted the use of histamine-2–receptor antagonists (H2RA) for patients with moderate to severe gastric acid–related diseases as well as for prophylaxis of upper gastrointestinal (GI) injury (eg, with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). The success of these drugs, with sales totaling approximately $13.6 billion worldwide in 2009,[1] is not just a result of their potency and effectiveness in improving symptoms and complications of acid-peptic diseases. Their safety among pharmacologic agents has been unparalleled as one of the safest classes of medications that gastroenterologists deal with, however, despite this there have been emerging concerns with reports of potential adverse effects associated with use of PPIs. In the United States, such reports have led the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to issue a number of broad-based product warnings, including all of the available PPI drugs either for prescription or over-the-counter purchase. The pathogenesis of these proposed associations is not clear in most cases and the evidence base to support a clear association for harm is extremely variable. These potential interactions have ranged from alteration of absorption of vitamins and minerals, metabolic effects on bone density, alteration of pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics and related drug interactions, or alterations of intended effect, infection risk, and hypersensitivity response with consequent organ damage. This review examines the proposed scientific basis for the adverse events and the evidence base surrounding these controversies, and provides the authors' bottom-line recommendations for clinical practice. Continue Reading

From
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/804146

Tesscorm

Staff member
S used nexium for over two years. He took it everyday that he used an NG tube (ie when on supplemental EN, it was 5 nights/wk). He didn't have any side effects.

My husband, no crohns but IBS and acid reflux, has taken nexium for years and years. He hasn't had any side effects either. But, he's not in a developmental stage and is a 'big' guy, ie 6'2", 190 lbs (not sure if size allows for a higher 'tolerance' of the drug).

S may have had a different reason than the norm for using it so, perhaps, my question isn't a reasonable one but... has your son tried to not use it? Why is he using it? S needed it because when the NG tube was inserted and left overnight, it left the 'flap' to the stomach slightly open, allowing acid to escape. This caused heartburn. Heartburn was only a problem for him when he used the NG tube because when he tried skipping nexium on his no-ng nights, he was fine without it. He stopped using it as soon as he stopped using the ng tube.

A has been on Omeprazole on/off for the last few years. I think somehow, over time, I became numb regarding the medicines she's on....so I didn't bat an eye when giving her Omeprazole. Seemed harmless. But after having such a difficult time coming off of it these past few weeks (and getting worse daily) I'm kicking myself for not knowing more about medications I've been giving her. I didn't even know it needed to be weaned!

Should it be proven she does have reflux I'll definitely know to ask the GI more questions so we can find the best medicine for her. Nothing is without potential side effects.....

Tesscorm

Staff member
It's amazing how often things go unsaid between patients and doctors. I don't think we were ever told us it had to be weaned! :eek: S was put on it pre-dx, while still trying to figure out the problem. At dx, ped GI kept him on it temporarily, ie until things settled and was no longer needed. It always seemed to be a minor 'if you need it' med. It was here I read about risks to bones, etc. so I suggested S try to not use it and he found he only needed it on his NG nights. As I weaned him off EN (I didn't want him to suddenly go from 1500 cal/day to 0), his nexium use was also indirectly weaned. But, that was totally by chance... I'm glad he didn't have any problems. (But, now that I've done a bit of reading, am wondering if my husband could actually stop taking them??)

crohnsinct

When O was dx'd things were fast and furious and they were shoving meds down her throat left and right. Had no idea what everything was. Then when we were discharged I got the scripts and I questioned the Omeprazole. She never had an issue with acid. Why was she taking this? Doc said, "oh because she is on prednisone and there was Crohn's in her stomach."

I later read about the bone issues and questioned it again but this time it was, "she is on EEN so she should stay on it". At about the year mark and after a particularly poor bone mineral density test, I asked yet again if she could come off it and he finally said yes.

She came off cold turkey with no issues. Doc didn't even mention a taper. Go figure!

BTW - when my younger one did EEN no mention of needing Omeprazole and she was fine with it.

I think docs also get a bit immune to the risks etc. and maybe should slow down and see if things are rally needed and/or revisit things they prescribed to see if they are still needed. Not saying your son doesn't need it but worth having a discussion with the GI but I totally hear ya on the not rocking the boat thinking!

Maya142

Staff member
We just saw M's GI today so discussed PPI's. M is on a high dose of a PPI - double the adult dose. In her case, her GI feels coming off her PPI would be worse for her than staying on one. She talked about the risks of acid reflux to both the stomach and the esophagus - including esophageal cancer.

Both Gastroparesis and a GJ tube can cause reflux. So can NSAIDs and M needs them, so she's stuck in a hard spot. We've already tried Pepcid, Zantac and Maalox, and they definitely don't work as well as PPI's for M, so we're just stuck.

Either way, we'll try and wean her off the higher dose when things are more stable, so that she can be on a normal adult dose.

In the meantime, I'm going to stay in my bubble and pretend the side effects are not a huge deal!

my little penguin

Staff member
I totally agree
Some meds just have potential bad side effects
But the key is potential- so risk benefit
If the benefits out weigh the risks you stay in them
Ds also has a lot of reflux from GP
But when he takes his GP meds and eats smaller quantities - Zantac seems to be enough
Will have to see if gastritis has disappeared later

Maya142

Staff member
I think as long as M is on NSAIDs she is going to need PPI's unfortunately. She is currently on Rabeprazole.

The last time we tried NSAIDs without PPI's, she got such bad gastritis that she lost 15 lbs in 3 months. And she can't walk without NSAIDs - so just stuck :(.

I do agree that doctors don't always talk about the risks though and that's just not right. With my older daughter, her rheumatologist just prescribed Prilosec with her NSAID the moment she started having stomach issues - no conversation about the possible risks of PPI's. I knew the risks/benefits because of M's GI, but I wonder how many people are put on them without being told of the risks.

Thank you all for your replies. This is helpful information.

Honesty I'm embarrassed I don't remember much. I don't think he has reflux. I think - think - dr said there is some use of it, maybe off label, to address inflammation in deodeum (but is that really from reflux?) Don't quote me on that. It makes sense though bc of how many kids here have had issues weaning off of it. Maybe he takes it bc he drinks so many dang bottles of formula?

I did ask at one appt if he will continue and I think he said yes. I have a family history of osteoporosis so I am going to call. However, that just may be a risk I'm happy to take. ???????

I hate Crohn's.

Maya142

Staff member
Has he had a dexa scan (for bone density?). M has one every year since she has low bone density in her spine.

I'd ask what it's for - once you know, you have a better idea whether it's a long-term med or it's one he can get off some time in the future.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Maya - my husband is on nexium because of the exact esophageal risks you mentioned. Both he and his brother suffer from reflux. My BIL did not bother with a PPI regularly, treated his reflux haphazardly and ended up needing to REPLACE his esophagus! It was a tricky and major surgery as they actually removed it and stretched his stomach to create a new esophagus. Needless to say, while he's much, much better now, he has to carefully watch quantity/frequency of meals and is often nauseated, etc. So, there are very real risks with uncontrolled reflux. Like MLP said, the risks of not taking meds certainly need to considered, not just the risks of taking the meds. :ghug:

Optimistic - there may be some connection between using a PPI and the duodenum that I'm forgetting because S had inflammation in his duodenum when he was diagnosed as well. I also have a family history of osteoporosis (I had juvenile osteoporosis as a child) so definitely worth mentioning. And asking for a bone density scan (S had one at diagnosis).

I have heard it can be bad to be on them for a long time, but I do believe it comes down to risks vs benefits. I was diagnosed with GERD and been on Omeprazole (Prilosec) for almost 8 years. I haven't had any issues while on it. When I have tried to come off it I get terrible indigestion and burning in my throat. GI has said he wants me on it to control acid in my stomach and prevent damage to my esophagus.

crohnsinct

Was researching something else on fecal calprotectin testing and came across this statement:

Most importantly, intake of proton pump inhibitors (e.g. omeprazole) is associated with significantly elevated calprotectin values.

This was the study/article referenced but I can't read the article.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12702920

I have been taking it for over 7 months, and I have not developed any kind of illness related to a long term use of omeprazole. Actually stopping it for even one day, or trying to replace it with other antacids, makes my day a living hell.

I was on omeprazole for eight years. Then last year I read about all the dangers of it so I started on zantac then unfortunately I found out Zantac has issues too. It took me three months to wean off of them. I had a great four months and then had to take a course of methylprednisone for my ear. A week later I started having terrible reflux again. So now I am battling it again. I am trying something called D-Limonene which you are supposed to take every other day for twenty days. By itself it is not really helping though it seems to help my anxiety a bit which it is also known for. I just ordered something called DGL which you take three times a day twenty minutes prior to eating. I will let you all know how it goes. I would speak with your child's doctor prior to trying any of these but if you are looking to go the natural route it is something to look into and discuss with them.

my little penguin

Staff member
Please keep in mind "natural" does not necessarily equal safe either
Due diligence is required for anything taken to treat anything
Regardless
Always run any supplements past your Gi since some homopathic things can react with other meds

He has not had a bone scan. I'll ask about that. There is so much focus at his visits on hey he is still doing great, we didn't expect that, and how unusual he is that I think some things get missed.

I'm learning that you need to be a part-time researcher and full-time advocate with this disease.

The omeprazole is working beautifully so I'll just put my head in sand and keep on keeping on.

The below paper got a lot of play in the popular press recently because of the widespread use of PPIs

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2481157

Proton Pump Inhibitor Use and the Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease
JAMA Intern Med. Published online January 11, 2016

Importance Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are among the most commonly used drugs worldwide and have been linked to acute interstitial nephritis. Less is known about the association between PPI use and chronic kidney disease (CKD).

Objective To quantify the association between PPI use and incident CKD in a population-based cohort.

Design, Setting, and Participants In total, 10 482 participants in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study with an estimated glomerular filtration rate of at least 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 were followed from a baseline visit between February 1, 1996, and January 30, 1999, to December 31, 2011. The data was analyzed from May 2015 to October 2015. The findings were replicated in an administrative cohort of 248 751 patients with an estimated glomerular filtration rate of at least 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 from the Geisinger Health System.

Exposures Self-reported PPI use in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study or an outpatient PPI prescription in the Geisinger Health System replication cohort. Histamine2 (H2) receptor antagonist use was considered a negative control and active comparator.

Main Outcomes and Measures Incident CKD was defined using diagnostic codes at hospital discharge or death in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study, and by a sustained outpatient estimated glomerular filtration rate of less than 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 in the Geisinger Health System replication cohort.

Results Among 10 482 participants in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study, the mean (SD) age was 63.0 (5.6) years, and 43.9% were male. Compared with nonusers, PPI users were more often of white race, obese, and taking antihypertensive medication. Proton pump inhibitor use was associated with incident CKD in unadjusted analysis (hazard ratio [HR], 1.45; 95% CI, 1.11-1.90); in analysis adjusted for demographic, socioeconomic, and clinical variables (HR, 1.50; 95% CI, 1.14-1.96); and in analysis with PPI ever use modeled as a time-varying variable (adjusted HR, 1.35; 95% CI, 1.17-1.55). The association persisted when baseline PPI users were compared directly with H2 receptor antagonist users (adjusted HR, 1.39; 95% CI, 1.01-1.91) and with propensity score–matched nonusers (HR, 1.76; 95% CI, 1.13-2.74). In the Geisinger Health System replication cohort, PPI use was associated with CKD in all analyses, including a time-varying new-user design (adjusted HR, 1.24; 95% CI, 1.20-1.28). Twice-daily PPI dosing (adjusted HR, 1.46; 95% CI, 1.28-1.67) was associated with a higher risk than once-daily dosing (adjusted HR, 1.15; 95% CI, 1.09-1.21).

Conclusions and Relevance Proton pump inhibitor use is associated with a higher risk of incident CKD. Future research should evaluate whether limiting PPI use reduces the incidence of CKD.