• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long Time in Coming!

After suffering with this disease for 44 years, seeking medical treatment for my unknown illness for at least 38 years, and many physicians later, I finally have a diagnosis. I found the most wonderful gastroenterologist who diagnosed me very quickly after my first visit. The preponderance of evidence has all along pointed to it, but blood tests came back normal. My new gastro had me do a capsule endoscopy and found many, many ulcers.
No one wants to have this awful condition, but we who do, sure want to be treated properly for it.
I manage a large department at a medical facility so I have to be able to solve complex problems very quickly but the fatigue has been killing me. Even my brain doesn't function sometimes.
I am 62. Are there individuals on this forum who've had a similar experience with a long delayed diagnosis, are now WELL into middle age and still managing it well?

Welcome. I'm sorry it took so long for a diagnosis but glad you ended up with a great GI. We have a great community and I'm sure there is many in situations very similar to you who will be along soon.

Thank you for your welcoming comments. I have worked in the medical administration field for most of my adult life and I have really learned how beneficial it is to be your own advocate. Even though it took so very long to get the diagnosis, I'm not looking back. I am looking forward...forward to feeling better, getting back to running and hiking, and I would love to use my circumstance to guide others along the path to appropriate care and treatment.

Thank you for your welcoming comments. I have worked in the medical administration field for most of my adult life and I have really learned how beneficial it is to be your own advocate. Even though it took so very long to get the diagnosis, I'm not looking back. I am looking forward...forward to feeling better, getting back to running and hiking, and I would love to use my circumstance to guide others along the path to appropriate care and treatment.

That's great, I think that is one of a lot of peoples biggest challenges. We aren't used to disagreeing with doctors or needing to push for testing etc. There are so many people I'm sure you could help.