• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Long way to the bottom of this

Just officially diagnosed with CD and underwent an ileal resection, spending the entire month of December in the hospital.

Now I'm out on my own, like so many others, with way too many questions and answers leading only to more questions.

I'm trying to decide on treatment. My GI has me on Pentasa as a placeholder, and is pushing me towards using Humira for treatment. I've been trying to do research on Crohn's, its various treatments and hypotheses behind its cause. It's incredibly daunting to decide between treatments that are either experimental, ineffective, or too dangerous for long-term use.

From reading some of the posts on this site, some things work for some people, others for others, and maybe some things just seem to work. I'm trying to make the most informed decision possible for my treatment, but I feel I'm short on time before the inflammation comes back.

Can anyone point me in the direction of scientific papers relating to the treatment of Crohn's? Specifically, on the TNF-a that Humira suppresses?

Thanks.

I'm going to post a link to a thread one of the co-founders started. It has a lot of information about studies, Cochrane Reviews of treatments gleaned from a comprehensive IBD book

He gives links to individual treatments and studies that correlate. There are a couple of good threads about tnf-a blockers or biologics:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=36155

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I hope that hatever treatment you choose works for you and gets you in remission soon. Sending support.