• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LONGEST FLARE UP EVER

i'm assuming my crohn's is moderate to severe because i just started humira 1 box ago.....i gave myself an 80mg shot this morning and i'm losing my shit. Humira is fine, it doesn't hurt, it's user friendly and it's much better than taking pills IMO. I've been flared up since april and had to take myself off the prednisone, i have the worst reactions from it and my doctor says that's the only treatment. I don't know if i'm going to have to go back on it if the humira doesn't work, but i'm losing hope. This is a terrible way to live and trying to stay positive only goes so far. I'm 36, diagnosed about 10 years ago....1 surgery back then and i suffer a lot.

Okay so you really haven't given Humira a chance yet. Don't lose hope. It take a bit of time to start working. There are many good stories here on how biologics have helped people. It's good that you are trying a new treatment other than prednisone but I'm surprised that the doctor says that prednisone is the only treatment if Humira doesn't work. There are a lot of other medications out there but don't give up on Humira just yet. It hasn't even been a day. :)

Okay so you really haven't given Humira a chance yet. Don't lose hope. It take a bit of time to start working. There are many good stories here on how biologics have helped people. It's good that you are trying a new treatment other than prednisone but I'm surprised that the doctor says that prednisone is the only treatment if Humira doesn't work. There are a lot of other medications out there but don't give up on Humira just yet. It hasn't even been a day. :)
i just meant the doctor said prednisone is the only treatment for the flare ups when they start, im always sent home with it after a stay in the hospital and i get so frustrated because the doctors use words like "SENSITIVE" some patients "ARE SENSITIVE TO THIS MEDICATION" i almost wish i could be studied and watched because the things that happen to me when i'm on it shouldnt' be okay. I'm so full of hope and looking forward to seeing how i feel when/if the humira works, i need some relief, these flare ups take me to dark places.

D

Deleted member 431298

I agree with jo-mom. Dont give up. It takes time for an effect to grab hold. Also, ask your doctor about Methotrexate, Purinetol, and also budenoside (gut specific steroids). Those drugs are used to put CD into remission, and has given relief to many, myself included.
Let us know how you do going forward.