• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for a better drink for upcoming scope

I've got an ileoscopy in July, but I've got new concerns over fluid replacement during the prep.

Normally (for colon prep), I'd be downing sports drinks, organic lemonade (with added sugar) and broth to not only get more fluids in, but to replenish electrolytes lost during the prep - by the time I hit the hospital, I'm usually very drained.

This time, without a colon, I worry that I won't be able to adequately replenish fluids during the prep, which I'll be doing very early in the morning of the scope. I do want to get away from the sports drinks, since I don't think consuming massive quantities of that stuff is good in any way, so I'm looking at coconut water (perhaps with some added salt) as an alternative. It's lower in calories vs. most sugar-containing sports drinks, but it's got more real nutrition in it too (potassium and magnesium specifically).

What other options are there, other than making my own preparation?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. Would the doctor let you go on clear fluids for a couple days with nothing after midnight or 10 pm.
That is now my prep for scopes. Otherwise I'm in the ER needing iv fluids.

Hi. Would the doctor let you go on clear fluids for a couple days with nothing after midnight or 10 pm.
That is now my prep for scopes. Otherwise I'm in the ER needing iv fluids.
I volunteered to fast a few days before the procedure, but he wants me to do the prep - I asked twice :(

I guess I'll see how it goes, but I do want to get the best hydration the day before and the day of the scope.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Well that's to bad.

I know the World Health Organization has receipts on there website. I to have heard how good coconut water is but have never tried it.

Well that's to bad.

I know the World Health Organization has receipts on there website. I to have heard how good coconut water is but have never tried it.
I don't mind coconut water, but it's expensive and isn't the best taste in the world. If I can't find anything better, that's likely what I'll go with and add some strained vegetable broth for extra sodium.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I just thought of this - pedialyte. I had an ER doctor recommed it. Its easily absorbed into the system. Tastes good but runs about $10 per bottle.

I just thought of this - pedialyte. I had an ER doctor recommed it. Its easily absorbed into the system. Tastes good but runs about $10 per bottle.
I was thinking that might be a better option to sports drinks, but it's very expensive.

The ingredients aren't too terrible for the unflavored one: Water, Dextrose. Less than 2% of the Following: Potassium Citrate, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, and Zinc Gluconate.

Thanks for the idea. I may look more into this one and compare it to coconut water. I may just use both.

Vegan,

I use mainly Pedialyte. Yes, it is expensive, but pray tell me one thing about Crohn's that is not expensive. I use Pedialyte for electrolyte replacement. Tomato juice is a good source of potassium with some magnesium. I drink a lot of that.

Coconut water and tap water I drink for fluid replacement. I'll drink as much as 2 gallons of water a day during the hot Summer months

No sports drinks, too much sugar and really very small amount of electrolytes. I'll have to look into this sports drink you suggested. I don't believe I have seen it in stores here.

I can always tell when my electrolytes are in the danger zone. My body CRAVES lemonade. I'll even eat raw lemons. Won't touch either when I'm hydrated properly. After 45 years you pay attention to signals like that.

Good luck with your upcoming scope.

Best,

Miles

Tomato juice is a good source of potassium with some magnesium. I drink a lot of that.
Yes, if it was free, I'd be downing V8's like nobody's business! :ylol2: It's got sodium, potassium, some calories and tastes great. Unfortunately, it's not something that's allowed for the scope prep, so I have to set that aside.

The Vega Electrolyte hydrator is cheaper than Gatorade (in bottles) and has better ingredients. It also comes from a more ethical company vs Coca Cola.

I'll be able to test it out during this weekends Crohn's and Colitis 5km walk I'm doing.