• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for advice with no diagnosis

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I'm not sure that I am in the right place, but I'm hoping that maybe someone will have some advice for me!

For about the past six months I have been having terrible issues that are making life a struggle for me. It started with constant diarrhea, a ten pound weight loss, fatigue, and some nausea. I have since continued to have loose stools every day; there are times when I go out to eat where I have to run to the bathroom within half an hour of finishing still. I have nausea so bad that I am constantly gagging and choking down vomit. I also have back pain and terrible fatigue after so long.

I recently took a qualitative fecal fat test which showed abnormal results, however, when I took the 72 hour stool test, the fat results were normal. I had to each the 100g of fat everyday, which made me feel absolutely terrible, so I was surprised to see normal results. The other stool tests I have taken were also normal, showing no apparent signs of inflammation. I have also had blood work done which also all resulted normally.

I am just so confused as to why I still have all of these symptoms with seemingly no issues. I'm not sure what the next steps are either. I just feel a little crazy and am looking for some advice!

Is it still possible to have something wrong with me even if these tests are coming back normally?

I have the same problem. 8years endless tests still no answer [emoji45] Bless. Keep pushing your Dr for more tests no matter what they say [emoji3] we know we have a serious problem and need help ☹ hope you get answers soon and get well
Hugs

I agree with Ron. You need to push for a colonoscopy and MRE. The other tests you’ve had aren’t always accurate. The colonoscopy and MRE are needed to definitively rule of inflammation in the colon and small intestines.

Hope you get some answers soon and start feeling better

Hello all,

This is my first post here and I'm not sure that I am in the right place, but I'm hoping that maybe someone will have some advice for me!

For about the past six months I have been having terrible issues that are making life a struggle for me. It started with constant diarrhea, a ten pound weight loss, fatigue, and some nausea. I have since continued to have loose stools every day; there are times when I go out to eat where I have to run to the bathroom within half an hour of finishing still. I have nausea so bad that I am constantly gagging and choking down vomit. I also have back pain and terrible fatigue after so long.

I recently took a qualitative fecal fat test which showed abnormal results, however, when I took the 72 hour stool test, the fat results were normal. I had to each the 100g of fat everyday, which made me feel absolutely terrible, so I was surprised to see normal results. The other stool tests I have taken were also normal, showing no apparent signs of inflammation. I have also had blood work done which also all resulted normally.

I am just so confused as to why I still have all of these symptoms with seemingly no issues. I'm not sure what the next steps are either. I just feel a little crazy and am looking for some advice!

Is it still possible to have something wrong with me even if these tests are coming back normally?
I too am undiagnosed 9 years 😤 Don’t give up
at your Drs
Hope you find the answers soon Bless 🤗
I have had every test too all said ok so they do get it wrong grr

I think one of the most frustrating aspects of digestive diseases is that they are so hard to diagnose. All doctors, whatever their specialty, want to see evidence of disease: an x-ray for a broken bone, a blood culture for a systemic infection, and visible ulcers for IBD. Unfortunately most of our intestines are not reachable by normal scopes. With issues like yours I would definitely ask for more tests. I’m not sure, but I think the 72 hour stool test is just looking at how your body absorbs fat (to check for malabsorption) but there are better tests to check for digestive problems. I think you need some imaging (endoscopy/colonoscopy/upper GI/MRE/CTE, etc). Since you’ve lost weight something is going on. You’ve had an abnormal stool test and urgency as well as fatigue so your doctors really need to find out what’s going on. I hope you get some answers soon.

Don't stress yourself over what the bloodwork is saying. It took a colonoscopy for me to get a diagnosis. For many people actually the colonoscopy is the only fir sure way to determine the progression of a disease. My blood work always showed in the normal range but slightly elevated. It was never enough that any of my doctors were concerned.

Do you know of any family history of IzbS, Crohn's etc? Sometimes having those symptoms and the chance of family history would be enough to get a referral to a GI. They are definitely your best bet at this point. Write down all your symptoms and weight loss down.

Hello all,