• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for life

looking for life

Hey there all you fellow IBD'ers, just joining because I am finding that while I feel that I am coping well, it's always good to hear from people who have been where I am, it's amazing how much comfort a person can get from people who can empathize, and who can help you ease the fear caused by the unknown. Generally speaking, at this point in my disease, I really don't know what's going to happen next or what life is going to be like in the next year or so. I have Crohn's, or so they tell me. It was initially colitis many years ago but apparently has progressed. I'm on remicade, worked great for a year and a half, but currently not working at all. Very frustrating after a year and a half of virtual "normal" bowels, it was paradise. I am grateful for that time. So, I guess we'll see...I am a runner, love to exercise and get outside. It's been difficult, I had a race booked last week and couldn't run, and found this very depressing. I am considering what life would be like with a colostomy, my disease seems to be primarily in my descending and sigmoid colon. Does this mean there is good odds I would not have crohn's post colectomy?? I don't know. Can a person run with a colostomy? is surgery the beginning of a life of bowel resections and sedentary living?? anyway, looking through some of these threads can be both encouraging and scary, but i would love to hear from anybody who might be able to encourage and alleviate some of these fears I have.

Hiya B, glad you joined you'll get some good advice here... all I can say is i'm running no probs since my resection in Nov, not that i'm a racing snake or anything but regularly run about 5K. I don't have a colostomy though so i'm afraid I can't comment but there is a section in the forum for people with stomas so they maybe able to shed some light!!. Hope you get the answers you need.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum :)

I hear ya on the depressing aspect of not being able to be as active as we once were. That's something that I still struggle with a lot.

As for your surgery questions, you may want to ask those in our stoma support forum and see what folks there have to say.

I wish you all the best :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi B-rad and welcome! I am sorry to hear Remicade has lost its effect. What is your next step for treatment?

As far as possibly needing a colectomy, I think it is difficult to say for anyone. All I know if surgery is usually the very last option. And there are many treatment options out there today to try and a few new ones currently in trials. However, if one day a colectomy is needed, it is important to remember that soooo many people have gotten their lives back due to the procedure. And, yes, you can certainly run with a colectomy. Actually, one of our members does have one and runs marathons! But try not to worry about any surgeries and just take one day at a time! Hang in there!