• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for options

I've been diagnosed with Crohn's Disease/Ulcerative Colitis for a little over 10 years. In that time I've been bounced around from anti-inflammatory pills (Asacol) mixed with steroids (Prednisone) then to Remicade then to Humira. Luckily, I don't have it as nearly as severe as a lot of the other members of this forum. However, it's still quite a hassle to deal with when I do have a flare up. I've been looking for other treatments options that don't have side effects that can be even worse than the disease you are trying to treat. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. There is a section in here called Treatment. They would probably have some good suggestions over there.

I would suggest evaluating your diet for foods/additives/preservatives that may aggravate symptoms. Keep a food diary(there are apps available to make it easier) and keep in mind that sometimes it takes 24-48 hours for a food to have an effect. Also, if you are in the US, there are "hidden" ingredients on labels and naming conventions aren't always standardized. You'll have to do your research(I've even had to email manufacturers). Stress reduction can also help. Some people use meditation, yoga, or breathing techniques. You could end up going crazy on the supplements but I suggest modification of diet before heaping on supplements since many of these 1. costly, 2. of varying quality 3. have their own additives that could affect you. 4. can confound an experimental approach to teasing out food sensitivities. I would also suggest high quality probiotics and fermented foods. Good luck!