• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Looking for some answers

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in August of 2016 when I was hospitalized for abdominal pain. Apparently, I have had this disease for years and was unaware. I was given Entocort and Apriso but had some serious side effects so was taken off those and put on 40mg of prednisone/day which helped get me into "remission". I have been on Imuran for almost 3 weeks now and it seems my symptoms are coming back. Abdominal pain and severe bloating only moments after food or liquids hit my stomach in the mornings. I wake up feeling fine but the moment I drink or eat the issues begin. How long does it take for Imuran to help? Are there any suggestions as to what diet I should follow that will help the severe bloating? Help please?

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi and welcome,
it can take a few months for Imuran to work. But it could take 6 weeks too...
I would call the GI or nurse to let them know of your relapsing situation and to see if they could put you back on prednisone for a few more weeks, in the meantime IMuran takes into effect.
You can take a look at IBD-aid diet in my signature. Wishing you well.

Im having some miserable issues. I wake up fine but as soon as I eat or drink I start bloating bad and hurting. My stomach looks huge all the time. I stay miserable. Ive been on Imuran for over a month and it seems im not getting any better> HELP!!

I have been on Imuran for almost 3 weeks now and it seems my symptoms are coming back. Abdominal pain and severe bloating only moments after food or liquids hit my stomach in the mornings. I wake up feeling fine but the moment I drink or eat the issues begin. How long does it take for Imuran to help? Are there any suggestions as to what diet I should follow that will help the severe bloating? Help please?
Hi Pinkswan,
My GI told me 6-8 weeks until it builds up in your system. Also, it's administered based on weight but that can be adjusted to accommodate your metabolism so it might be a dosage issue. I was on a little bit of pred during that 6-8 week period so that might also be an option. Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon.